Index of Topics –  April 17, 2006

Waterfront Update – President Morse

Status of Search committees – Provost Bodman

Senate election results – Jeff Newcomer

Transportation Initiatives Task Force – Dale Monroe

 

 

WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY

FACULTY SENATE MINUTES

Regular Meeting – April 17, 2006

 

 

Bill Lyne, President called the 2005-2006 Faculty Senate to order at 4:06 p.m.  There were twenty-four (24) Senators present, two (2) ex officio, the legislative liaison, the recorder, and one guest for a total of twenty-nine (29).  (See attached roster)

 

Approval of Minutes of April 3, 2006

Senators approved the minutes of April 3, as written. 

 

Items from the Chair

·   Lyne requested that Senators and faculty contact him with questions regarding collective bargaining issues and upcoming meetings (two scheduled for this week and next).  Lyne reported that he will be wearing two hats on behalf of faculty, since he has been elected Interim Shop Steward.

 

Items from the Administration

Waterfront Update

·   President Morse updated Senators on the Bellingham Port’s and various campus committees’ discussions on potential proposals for a Western presence on the waterfront.  Morse’s presentation included PowerPoint slides of a potential waterfront site, with drafts of some plan proposals. The footprint size is approximately the size of Red Square with surrounding buildings. Information on first principles, consultants’ reports, and results of meetings can be found on Morse’s website at http://www.wwu.edu/president/waterfrontnews.htm.  Morse emphasized that planning could extend out for forty years, but must focus on who we are, and how we maintain our identity and mission while contributing to the larger Bellingham community and promoting sustainable waterfront development.

·   Morse thanked the consultants, and explained that there is a level of ambiguity in the waterfront plans, since the Port and City have not completed an economic analysis of the site, and have put a slowdown on accepting a final plan for a design.  There is no land use plan, nor are there specific funding sources identified for Western.  Talks are continuing with legislators, Congressional members, and donors, and Western’s new strategic plan is being developed concurrently.  The goal is to be ready to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, much as those in 1800 could not imagine how the original Normal School has progressed to today.  The footprint presented in the PowerPoint is allows for imaginative growth, includes the Laurel Street extension which will take us straight down to the Port.

·    One Senator pointed out that events downtown get a different population, and are we planning to build an event site?  Morse reported that we don’t feel this should be our primary push.  We will keep our ears open, and participate, but at the moment we do not want to be out front on that.  Morse also explained the arts corridor from the site up through downtown, which will contain projects within the public facilities district, and as well as along that corridor, suggesting that we might be able to have some kind of art activities there, shared facilities, and does not preclude having actual arts activities on the Waterfront.  The intent is to cooperate with Mt. Baker and identify some common needs we have and how we could blend the two.

·    Huxley College will also continue discussions on a proposed waterfront presence, which would affect where faculty teach, and what the advantages and disadvantages might be of teaching small classes down on the waterfront, and larger classes up on the campus.

·    Morse concluded by emphasizing that lots of discussion must still take place as to the kinds of advantages, and that nothing has as yet been determined.  All of these discussions revolve around capital and funding, expansion of FTE, whether and how we can accommodate enrollment increases, what effect will the new emergency management degree program have on space needs, and the space needed right now in the sciences, including biology and chemistry.  The marina question is also controversial, along with maintaining the green areas.  Morse added that we are the first group bringing a potential for some activity on the waterfront.

 

Status of Search Committees

·   Provost Bodman announced that he has begun a search for a Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.  Bodman also reported that the Fairhaven Dean Search Committee will bring in two more finalists and extend the search through May because of the withdrawal of one of the current finalists. Eight candidates are now under review as finalists for the position of Vice Provost for Information Technology.

 

 

AGENDA - ACTION ITEMS

Reading of Standing Committee Minutes (Exhibit B):   

The following minutes were reviewed and accepted by the Senate.

 

Committee

Date

Topics for Senate Review

o        Academic  Coordinating Commission

3/28/06

1- ‘Time to degree’ for Thesis-Required Master’s Degree Programs, a report from an Ad Hoc Committee of the Graduate Council.

2 -Rotating Finals Schedule

3 -Course Access for Students in Self-Designed Majors and Minors

4 -International Programs Course Approval Process

MOTION: A motion was made by Jim Hearne, seconded by Robert Thorndike, to decline the course approval process proposed in the IPAC minutes of 2/24/06, which was passed by the Commissioners.*

 

*It is okay to transfer credits earned in another institution.  What is not appropriate is to "rebrand" it as a WWU course and “rebrand” it with a WWU grade.  Provost Bodman believes this is in violation of accreditation regulations.   The constraint on courses abroad that is now in the catalog can be removed. There is nothing that prevents us from taking an equivalent course from overseas and using it in the major.  We simply have to alter the catalog.

 

o        University Planning Council

o         

3/8/06

-General University Classrooms – Renovation update

-Supplemental Budget Report

-Faculty Senate charge to UPC re Construction Projects

 

à     Senators asked if construction bids for the AIC had gone out.  President Morse reported that bids will go out and then be reviewed by the Board of Trustees in June.

à     Another Senator asked if a Budget Variance Report is being worked on by the PPRC.  President Morse reported there are plans to create a variance report.  However, the budget office is short-handed and must already prepare budget reports to the Office of Financial Management and the HEC Board, as well as budgets for 2007-2009.  In addition, the budget office must handle preparing current and new Decision Packages.  There is nothing to hide; the office is simply short-handed and too busy to get to all the projects in the pipeline. 

à     A type of budget comparison in terms of actual expenditures is reviewed by the President with each Vice President on a yearly basis, and using the green budget books, looks at pressures and allocations and how they vary.  Morse agreed that a variance report would be a good topic for PPRC to investigate.

à     One Senator asked if university classroom seating was going to be standardized during renovation, and was appreciative that there is a wide variety of seating styles, and that this variation would continue.

 

Reports from the Transportation and Planning Initiatives Task Force  -- Dale Monroe

Senators discussed parking data with guest Dale Monroe:

·    At present there are about 3400 parking spaces on campus, with 1000 reserved for residents.  Permits are oversold, so the usage of the lots is recorded at 75 to 85%.

·    At present the committee has reviewed recommendations from the consultant Dan Burden, and evaluations will continue.  Slides are available with the Burden report which will be made available to the Senate.  Among his conclusions are that pedestrian and bicycle lanes be improved, that bicycle racks be covered.  There are no suggestions to complete the bike route through or around campus. 

·    Senators agreed there are many questions left.  At present there are no plans for bike lanes.  The question of the shuttle buses is also part of the discussion.  The challenge is that there are so many views.  Students have input in the discussion; one suggestion has been to give more night service and broader service during the day.

·    Lyne reported that the meeting of the new Parking Fee Committee would take place this week.  Lyne will represent faculty on the committee.  The first thing will be to find the relationship between these reports and what the committee will attempt to accomplish.

·    Morse reported that there is some money for bike lanes in the minor caps requests.

·    Dave Fewings commented that the payment to WTA is approximately $55.00 an hour, and the cost of bringing people back and forth from the old Drive-In should be reviewed.  Senators were reminded that Federal grants would be necessary to purchase Lincoln Creek.  Fewings is in favor of building increased parking on campus.

·    Senators expressed thanks to Dale Monroe for his work on the Task Force reports

 

APPOINTMENTS AND ELECTIONS – Jeff Newcomer

Senate Election Results

The following faculty have been elected to the 2006-2008 Faculty Senate: 

Area A:  Roger Anderson, Jeff Newcomer

Area B:  Joan Stevenson

Area C:  Roger Thompson, Joan Hoffman, Brenda Miller, Michiko Yusa

Area D:  Deb Currier, David Meyer

Area E:  Steve Henson, Mary Ann Reynolds

Area H:  Chris Ohana, Genet Simone, Ray Wolpow

Area I:    Jeanne Armstrong

 

Openings on Senate Standing Committees:

Faculty Grievance Committee (5 ); Academic Coordinating Commission (3 from specific areas, see “Memberships” on the Senate website at http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/senate ); University Planning Council (3 from specific areas); Faculty Senate Library (4); Academic Technology Committee (3); Salary and Welfare (1); Faculty Development Grants Committee.

 

Faculty Caucus and Adjournment

Senators adjourned for two minutes prior to meeting in a brief faculty caucus.

Senators moved to adjourn at 5:35 pm. 

Written by Rose Marie Norton-Nader, Recorder, 4/17/06

                       

 

                                                                                    _______________________

                                                                                    Lorraine Kasprisin, Secretary


 

 

Roster 2005-2006 Senate

 

Term

 

Senators

Area

Roll

 

2005-2006 Senate President

Bill Lyne

 

 

06

1

Bover, David, Ch, ATC 04-05

A

P

 

Vice President and Parliamentarian

 

 

06

2

Buckley, Patrick

G

P

 

Ira Hyman

 

 

06

3

Ramona Chauvin

H

Exc
 

 

 

 

07

4

 Crowder, Kyle, Library Senator

B

P
 

 

 

 

06

5

Currier, Deb (for Greg Pulver)

D

P
 

 

 

 

07

6

Daley, Chris

A

P
 

 

 

 

07

7

Fewings, David, UPC Senator

E

P
 

 

 

 

06

8

Emory, Steven

A

    P
 

Ex Officio

 

 

06

9

    Henson, Steve

E

P

1

Karen Morse, University President

P

06

10

Hodges, Hart

E

P

2

Andrew Bodman, University Provost

   P

06

11

Howard-Snyder, Frances

C

P

3

Brad Smith, Dean of Huxley, Provost’s Council

--

06

12

Hyman, Ira, PresElect 06-07(EC)

B

P

 

 

 

06

13

Hyatt, Keith

H

--

 

Guests

 

07

14

Kasprisin, Lorraine, Secretary(EC)

H

P

1

Dale Monroe, Director Purchasing

P

07

15

Laffrado, Laura, At Large(EC)

C

P

2

 

 

07

16

Larner, Daniel

F

    P

 

 

 

07

17

Liao-Troth, Matthew

E

P

1

Legislative Liaison: Sara Singleton

P

06

18

Lyne, William, President 05-06(EC)

C

P

2

Recorder:  Rose Marie Norton-Nader

P

06

19

Madsen, Leza

I

P

 

 

 

07

20

Meehan, Michael, ACC, ATC Senator

A

P

 

Monday, April 17,  2006

 

06

21

Meyer, David

D

--

 

 

 

06

22

Newcomer, Jeff, Appts&Elect (EC)

A

P

 

 

 

07

23

Ousselin, Edward

C

--

 

 

 

07

24

Parris, Kristen

B

P

 

 

 

06

25

Phelan, Laurie (for Kris Slentz, Wtr Qtr)

H

--

 

Total Senators Present

24

07

26

Stewart, James, Pres. pro tem, ACC

A

P

 

Absent or Excused

(6)

06

27

Stout, Karen

C

  Exc

 

Ex Officio Present

2

07

28

Symons, Lawrence

B

P

 

Recorder and Legislative Liaison

2

06

29

Thompson, Roger

C

P

 

Guests

1

07

30

Hamilton, Bruce, (for Van Boer, Bertil)

D

P

 

TOTAL PRESENT

29

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Article III.  Faculty Senate

The Faculty Senate is empowered to speak and act for the Faculty in University affairs with particular responsibility in the areas of curriculum, academic programs, Faculty salary, Faculty status, scholarly activities, and all matters relating to the welfare of Faculty, the education of students, and the academic mission of the University.

The Faculty Senate is limited to 30 voting members elected by the Faculty, and the President of the University, the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University, and a college dean appointed by the Provost serving as Provost's Council representative as ex officio non-voting members.    (Faculty Handbook, page 55)