Index of Topics –  October 1, 2007

                   EXHIBIT A: Approved 10/15/07

News items:  Award Recipients; President Morse plans retirement

 

Tribute to Professor Ken Hoover; acknowledgement of award winners

 

Charges to Senate Standing committees:  MOTION passed

 

Accreditation self-study;  Report from K. Bulcroft and B. Miller

 

Supp Budget request – emergency mgmt:  G. Pierce and G. Shipley

 

 

 

                                                                             WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY

                                                                                    FACULTY SENATE MINUTES

Regular Meeting – October 1, 2007

 

Call to Order

Jeff Newcomer, 2007-2008 Faculty Senate President, called the Senate meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. Newcomer welcomed twenty-eight (28) Senators, three (3) ex officio members, the Past President (1), the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (1),  five (5) guests, and the recorder (1) for a total of thirty-nine (39).  (See attached roster).

 

Items from the Senate President

      Approval of Minutes - Senators accepted the minutes of May 7, 2007.

Announcements and Reports - Newcomer welcomed Provost Dennis Murphy.  Newcomer acknowledged the contributions of Professor Ken Hoover who passed away this summer. 

Ø Newcomer then acknowledged research, teaching and diversity award recipients including Todd Donovan, Leo Bodensteiner, Kristen Larson, and Tom Nerini.  Newcomer suggested starting a trend of advertising the awards earlier or better as apparently faculty were not aware who the winners were until the summer months. 

Ø Newcomer encouraged faculty to attend and speak at Convocation. He added that he found Convocation a neat opportunity to meet students, hear some inspiring and uplifting speeches and “really neat fireworks”.  Seriously, this is a fun welcoming ceremony with a buffet beforehand, and all in all he found it a fun way to leap into the new school year.  Newcomer is looking for both a faculty speaker for next year, who will speak for just two or three minutes, and a backup speaker.

Ø Newcomer reviewed items on the agenda pointing in particular to the Policy for Opportunity Hires which is on the agenda as homework for next week rather than discussion for today.  Newcomer added that this is an attempt to improve the existing policy (in Appendix K of the Faculty Handbook, and on the Human Resources web link) and that he drafted the policy with Sue Guenter-Schlesinger from the Equal Opportunity Office. 

 

Items from the Administration

Retirement Plans

Ø President Morse spoke about her plans for retirement in September 2008, and noted that she had already been talking to the Board of Trustees about it for the past two years, since this had to be a three year plan. Morse will not be involved in the search for her replacement.  The Board is extending invitations to faculty to participate in the search committee, and we are looking for three or four faculty to serve, and would like to submit twice that number to the Board for selection.  Please forward names to Jeff as soon as possible.

Ø Morse emphasized that with all the openings this summer, the administration appointments she had to make had nothing to do with stepping down.  She has been looking at retirement carefully and for a long while.  Morse answered questions about her plans, which include completing the year first.  She mentioned that she has been asked to serve on several boards, and there are several others she has had to say no to.  Morse responded with optimism and reiterated that this is a time that is good for the University and for the community.  She added that she plans to do some writing, and to travel to the East Coast and spend time with her grandchildren. 

Ø  In response to a Senator’s question about the timetable Morse reported that the search committee still has to meet and fine tune the ad, and a consulting firm will be involved to help with the process issue.  The search is expected to take from 6 to 8 months to complete.  This is a different process than that for faculty searches requiring more interview steps, and more serious issues of confidentiality.

Ø Morse reported that the Supplemental Budget includes requests for funding for math and science teacher preparation (Teach Washington) and for retention and recruitment funds, and for increased child care spending.  Morse added that the request was unusual in that each of the baccalaureates put in a request related to emergency planning, all with different needs.  Morse added that Western was ahead of the game because we have an active shooter program for the local and Whatcom and Skagit county police

Ø Morse mentioned that requests have been discussed at PPRC, and that it is possible only to ask for Retention and Recruitment money this year.  Morse expressed appreciation for all of the faculty involvement in the last legislative session.  

 

Provost Murphy

Provost Murphy and Vice Provost for Faculty Relations, Rhonda Allen who is newly arrived on campus.[j1] 

Ø Provost Murphy welcomed the Vice Provost for Faculty Relations, Rhonda Allen, who is newly arrived on campus.

Ø Provost Murphy reported that the HEC Board will meet locally on Tuesday October 23rd at 4:30 p.m. at the Quality Inn on Kellogg Avenue off Meridian.  [j2] 

Ø Murphy called attention particularly to the HEC Board’s new draft Strategic Plan (available on the website), wherein they state questions, goals, and how they plan to achieve these goals.  There is mention of new accountability measures in the State, and with many unknowns we might want to have some significant presence at that meeting.  In general the HEC Board’s goals include increasing baccalaureate degrees and we will know more about that as time goes by.

Ø  (Newcomer pointed out that there is one Senate meeting between now and the meeting of the 23rd.)

 

Items from the Faculty Union (UFWW)

§    UFWW President Bill Lyne expressed thanks to Provost Bodman for that he did during his term, and thanks to Provost Murphy for a seamless transition. 

§    Lyne congratulated President Morse on the equity and compression raises that took place this summer.  Lyne thanked Ira Hyman and Paul Storer for their extra hard work in effecting the raises, and added the names of Sharon Schmidt, Cheryl Wolfe-Lee and Sue Guenter-Schlesinger.  Lyne added the importance of recognizing that the recent salary study done by the consultants found no gender or other equity inequalities of any significance at Western.

§    Lyne promised to keep faculty up to date on collective bargaining negotiations which he reported are making good progress to date.

§    Bill Lyne reported that legislators are not aware that faculty are among the most reviewed personnel in the State, and that many legislative suggestions are initiatives already well underway on university campuses.  Lyne is working for greater faculty participation in decision-making.  Lyne pointed out that some legislators claim that they have never received a phone call or a letter from constituents saying that higher education needs to move up on the agenda; at the end of the day the concern is about money and votes.

§    One Senator responded with a story of her own Dad whose response is very typical of most people who know little of what faculty do, and are unaware of the many hours that faculty put in at home or of the many hours of preparation required to teach even a single university class. 

§    Senators agreed that faculty have a huge PR problem and need to do a better job at educating the public and legislators; the research faculty does matters.  Senators noted that 53.8 is the average faculty work week reported in the accreditation self-study, and that a forum is needed to broadcast faculty achievements.

 


 

 

 

AGENDA ITEMS

Standing Committee Minutes – Reading and Acceptance  (Exhibit B)

o        Academic Coordinating Commission

5/1/07

Accepted.

Writing survey.  Faculty are requested to please complete it if they have not already done so.

o        University Planning Council

5/16/07

Accepted.

o        Academic Technology Committee

4/25/07

Accepted.  (Postponed last spring in order to get information on advisory structure).

o        Senate Library Committee

4/19/07

Accepted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments on the Minutes:

Newcomer reported that he had pointed out to John Lawson that a new Systems Committee was really just a clone of ATC, and suggested that changing the culture and content of ATC might better fit its role.  Newcomer would like to move forward, not with this structure, but with the changes to ATC captured in his attached draft, continue to have an informed discussion, and keep the other two committees as Lawson proposed.  Chris Suczek is a member of ATC, and that there is a need to align the meetings and the charge.  Suczek expressed hope that with the election of a chair next week that a lot more will be accomplished along these lines.

 

Appointments & Elections – Mick Cunningham, Officer

Senators appointed the following:

To Academic Technology Committee:   Bob Thomas, Library, 2007-2009; Mark Sherman, English, 1-year term, thru 2008.

To Academic Coordinating Commission:  Diana Wright, History, Fall Qtr, replacing Leonard Helfgott (teaching conflict). 

Announcements:    Appointed to Campus Dining Committee: Nancy Johnson, English;   to  Executive Dining Committee:  Victor Nolet, Woodring College

 

ACTION ITEM

MOTION FROM THE SENATE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL

The Senate unanimously passed a motion charging its four standing committees to review positive and negative aspects of the draft committee charges it is forwarded to them.  The text is as follows:

 

“The Faculty Senate charges its four Standing Committees (Academic Coordinating Commission, University Planning Council, Academic Technology and Senate Library Committees) to review the attached DRAFT charges, to discuss positive and negative aspects, and to formulate written suggestions for improvement.”

 

Ø Senators asked questions about the role of the Ombuds, and the continued existence of the committee on Grievance and Sanctions:

Ø Bill Lyne agreed with the ideas expressed about the need for the Grievance Committee because it is faculty that should make judgments about faculty peers.  He added the note however, that union representatives are faculty, and an issue should not come to the union if it cannot be bargained.

Ø Lyne pointed out that the Union will not get involved unless an issue reaches the level of a Dean.  The Union supports the presence of an Ombuds, or an Ombuds panel and/or a Committee.  Nothing goes to the committee in the current grievance process unless it goes first to the Ombuds and then through the dispute resolution process.  Once it goes through this process it automatically becomes a union process.  The Ombuds draft is not part of the above motion.

 

Preliminary Accreditation Report – B. Miller & K. Bulcroft   

§    Kris Bulcroft, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, and Brenda Miller, English, Editor-in-chief of the Accreditation study heard Senators request an accurate assessment of challenges the university faces in the accreditation self-study which will be open to campus evaluation for the month of October

§    Ideas were exchanged for further faculty involvement which include:

Ø  Download the standards from the website and read the current draft

Ø  Know that the site team will be on campus in April.  The group of ten will want to make both pre-arranged and random meetings.  What they ask about will largely be a result of what they read in the self-study.

Ø  Bulcroft mentioned the importance of our success in implementing the new strategic plan, that our work is mission driven.  She added that this is accreditation includes all aspects of the institution and gives us a chance to look both backwards and forwards.

Ø  Faculty can submit comments to the executive group.  Revisions will be made from your comments as well as from the Board of Trustees.

Ø  Look at the Standard so you know context of the actual draft. 

Ø  Our main purpose is to fulfill the Standards.  The other aspect is to give guidance of where to go next.  

Ø  Bulcroft and Miller will be writing an Executive Summary highlights the important points from our reading but we need feedback from community.  They will ask what themes emerge from this draft, and you can get a sense of that by looking at the titles. 

Ø  Standard 2 is the big one, a huge chapter broken down by colleges. 

Ø  Standard 4 and Standard 6 are related to governance and the Senate might want to take that up further (The Executive Council has done some already)

Ø  Faculty must know that we have only the month of October for public comments.  The package has to get hung together in the month of November, and to the printer by the first of December. So this is the only month to get feedback.

 

§    Past President Ira Hyman asked if the point was to present information exactly or to paint a rosy picture?  Hyman pointed out what he thought were discrepancies in numbers of tenure track or tenured faculty.

§    Bulcroft and Miller explained that the document is primarily to provide a guide for the evaluators who will come in April.  They will read the documents six weeks before they come to our campus.  It will also be a guide to the supporting documents.  It is a way of consolidating the information to someone coming from outside, a way of showing how we fulfill the Standards, and at the same time displaying what we do.

§    Bulcroft responded to Hyman that his question pointed out why the document is out now for public comment.  Obviously we want to put our best foot forward, but we do not want to be disingenuous.  We want to present the challenges to the site team, rather than have them start turning over stones and finding problems. 

§    Bulcroft pointed out that she would welcome anybody who wants to take a stab at institutional challenges, and she would really welcome observer comments.

§    Dan Larner commented that the franker our approach the better.

§    Brenda Miller added that at the end of each chapter you will see the challenges we face to meet strategic plan during this time of transition.

§    Karen Morse commented that the Self-study should not be any different than what you would do within your own department.  You want those data to be accurate, and we want the challenges as well as the good things to come forward.

§    In conclusion, it was pointed out that Kris and Brenda did not write this, but had people assigned who put this together.  Brenda put it into a common format that will get more tweaking later on.

§    Jeff Newcomer reported it took him between a week and a week and a half to go thru the whole thing. He asked faculty if they want their comments reviewed, send them to him, and he will forward from the Senate.

§    Whether fact or fantasy, get the comment to somebody!

§    Bulcroft expressed thanks to the campus for participation as many people have been involved in putting the Standards together in good faith and doing good work to get first draft together.  Special thanks were expressed to Brenda who underwent a steep learning curve and who was extremely positive, efficient, and forthright, and a pleasure to work with on this project.

 

Emergency Response – Supplemental Budget Request

George Pierce and Gayle Shipley

Vice President George Pierce and Safety Director Gayle Shipley presented details of a supplemental budget proposal which include card-key access to computer labs and three campus police to provide 24/7 protection and local training.  Senators requested further campus discussion.  Faculty are encouraged to contact Jeff Newcomer, other members of the Executive Council, or Pierce or Shipley directly with comments.  There is only the PPRC meeting at 7:30 a.m. in the Board room on October 10th.  There are no more Senate meetings before the Board of Trustees meeting at which the request items will be reviewed.

§    Pierce explained how the budget line Item 6 request came into being from the Emergency Management committee.  Following a COP meeting in Olympia and the governor’s office about improving campus safety, Pierce was able to report we are very pro active and are in the process of  putting a new system in place through John Lawson that will provide an immediate alert to faculty, students and staff.  Improvements include text messaging, a real message on the telephone, and the installation of “Big Olly”, a siren formerly belonging to Georgia Pacific which will be installed on top of the power plant.

§    Western learned that the institutions are all moving forward with budget requests, which prompted a list of possible equipment that we would include in our request for funding.  This partial list is in a draft form.

§    Senators noted that some items will be more long-term than for emergency. 

§    Pierce responded that in supplemental budget requests the State looks at emergency issues first, then tries to supplement existing projects through a vetting process.

§    Senators learned that planned card-key access would mean that all entry and access is recorded at police dispatch center.  Initial plans are only for outdoor access to computer labs.

§    Bill Lyne asked how much can be used for surveillance and information gathering for faculty and students, or for controlling and dispersing legal demonstrations.  Pierce indicated that this is door access only, which records entry and egress time.  All of this is public information. 

§    In addition, a wireless campus is a way to allow reception in places that don’t have it such as the basements of our cement buildings with no reception.  This would also help the tunnels – expanding our current wireless base for utility works and police.  A key element for emergencies is to cell communication and radio communication thru out the campus.  He added that the goal is do not keep the data for more than 24 hours.

§    One Senator pointed out that this appears to be a lot of response and not a lot of prevention and asked why we need three police officers.  Pierce answered that it is important to have uniforms on campus.  Accreditation standards require a certain number of trained commissioned police officers in order to get accreditation by a State group.  Bellingham police are not on campus patrol.  Bellingham and local police are not charged with patrolling and protecting the university.  Training response and threat assessment response is also part of the prevention.  Police would be going out and educating the campus about when it is appropriate to call police immediately and when it is not. Pierce emphasized this was important.  Also we are forming threat assessment teams and we need a lot more education in connection to that.  With police here 24/7, this translates to 3 police over 3 shifts and 7 days.   Pierce noted that four officers are needed for an active shooter response.   With only one officer on campus, we would have to wait for three Bellingham police to come before we are allowed to respond to an active shooter. 

§    Matthew Liao-Troth asked to see more information about the PIER System (Public Information Emergency Response System), which is very expensive, over $100,000, and then there are maintenance costs.  Cell phone repeaters will give infrastructure but are insufficient.

§    Rich Brown commented that many do not have cell phones in class.  He loves the siren idea, so we know what is going on.  “Big Olly” doesn’t cost anything according to Pierce, just a matter of putting it up there. 

§    Pierce reported that Dr. Lawson is doing negotiating for other items with a local firm.  We are first in the door and we are going to be piloting a lot of the enhancements and that will offset the pricing.

§    Tom Downing suggested all of this might be for an improbable event – to him it seems risible to plan for things so extraordinary.   What about a major earthquake or flue pandemic?  Do we need a full-time psychiatrist on campus with odds one in 20,000?

§    Gayle Shipley responded that she hesitates to speak for student affairs and has asked similar questions at one time.  However she reports that students seem to be coming to Western with more and more mental health problems, and we need more and more mental health response for our students.  They are using the services of the psychiatrist very frequently.   We are contracted to do so for our students.  We are at the point where it would be more cost effective to hire somebody than to continue contracting.  This is the prevention piece. Western does a highly rated job of finding students who are troubled and responding in a variety of ways. This is part of the enhancement of that service, so students do  not have to wait a week…. Things can happen in that week, and we need to get help in there faster.

§    One Senator asked if the card key would be needed to access computer labs after hours.  With key cards, police dispatch can lock any number of doors by pushing one button.  Downing said you will be keeping people out when the need arises who should have access to buildings.  Hyman is concerned that in the new AIC building the key cards will add greater challenges to getting things done on time.  Having to go completely outside of the dept to have things set up and to get cards to students. This seems like a foot in door to hiring more people, and did not seem efficient.  Hyman is concerned that we have not had a discussion on campus as to long-term costs and effects.  He is not sure we need a full time emergency manager on this campus.  An emergency last year was handled very well by the campus, with a lot of people stepping up to help.  Sometimes it is better to handle things in a more ad hoc fashion by the people who are here.

§    Pierce pointed out that he will elaborate further what Shipley does what does not get done.  She is the Emergency Management coordinator at present and does not have the staff.  Pierce would like to free this person up so she can do the work she is supposed to do.

§    Senators expressed appreciation for dealing with water shortages, and the Big Olly idea.  Off-campus faculty in particular need to know what is happening, and would like a tie in to the amber alert system or some other instrument to alert people driving up to the campus.  Pierce said they are still “ruminating about what we can do”, and we would like faculty on the committee and to bring additional faculty in from time to time.  Weekends are also a challenge when we can have 3000 to 4000 people on campus.

§    Dan Larner expressed continued concern about any information that allows the university to collect information on who and when and how people access buildings, in light of the Patriot Act.   The Library has shown good example about the length of time retaining data.  Larner pointed out that RFD technology can be used for other than its intended purposes.  Larner quoted Ben Franklin thus:  “Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security.”  He suggests that a university above all should not be guilty of collecting unusual information.  Access to information should be viewed and eliminated as soon as possible.

 

Constituent Concerns:  None

 


 

ADJOURNMENT

Senators adjourned at 5:55 p.m.

Written by Rose Marie Norton-Nader, Recorder,4/23/2007

                                                                       

                                                                                                            _______________________

                                                                                                            Joan Stevenson, Secretary

 

 

 

Roster of the 2007-2008 Faculty Senate

 

 

Senators

 

 

 

 

 

08

1

Anderson, Roger, ACC Senator

  A

P

 

Senate President 2007-2008

 

09

2

Anthony-Cahill, Spencer

  A

P

 

Jeff Newcomer

 

08

3

Armstrong, Jeanne

G

P

 

Vice President and Parliamentarian

 

08

4

Brown, Rich  (for Deb Currier)

D

P
 

Matthew Liao-Troth

 

09

5

Coskie, Tracy

H

P
 

 

 

09

6

  Cunningham, Mick, Appts & Elects, Exec

  B

P
 

Ex Officio

 

09

7

  Downing, Thomas, UPC Chair, Exec nv

C

P

1

Karen Morse, University President

P

09

8

  Fewings, David, UPC Senator

E

    P

2

Dennis Murphy, Provost

P

09

9

  Friesen, John

D

 Exc

3

Roger Gilman, Rep., Provost’s Council

P

09

10

  Gogrof-Voorhees, Andrea

C

    P

 

 

 

09

11

  Helms, Ron, Library Senator (2 yr)

B

P

4

Rhonda Allen, VP Faculty Relations

P

08

12

  Hoffman, Joan

C

    P

5

  Ira Hyman, Past President, Exec,

P

09

13

 Larson, Nikki

A

P

6

John Purdy, Legislative Liaison, 07-08, Exec

---

09

14

 Larner, Daniel, At-Large, Exec

F

    P

 

Recorder:  Rose Marie Norton-Nader

P

08

15

 Liao-Troth, Matthew, VP & Parliam., Exec

E

P

 

 

 

09

16

Lyne, William, UFWW Pres., Exec nv

C

P

 

Guests:

 

08

17

 Meyer, David

D

    P

 

Barbara Audley, Director, EESP

P

08

18

 Newcomer, Jeff , President Sen., Exec

A

P

 

Gail Shipley – Director, Central Health & Safety

P

08

19

 Ohana, Chris

H

    P

 

George Pierce-Vice President Business

P

09

20

 Reedy, Christopher

A

    P

 

Kris Bulcroft-Vice Provost Undergrad Educ

P

08

21

 Reynolds, MaryAnn

E

P

 

Brenda Miller, English, Accreditation Self-Study

P

08

22

 Simone, Genet

H

P

 

 

 

08

23

 Stevenson, Joan, Secretary, Exec

C

P

 

Senators Present

28

09

24

 Suczek, Chris

A

P

 

Absent or Excused

(2)

09

25

 Symons, Lawrence

B

P

 

Ex Officio

3

08

26

 Thompson, Roger, ACC Senator

C

P

 

Leg.Liaison, Past Pres., VProvost Faculty Rel.

2

09

27

 Vulic, Kathryn

C

P

 

Recorder

1

08

28

 Wang, Grace

G

Exc

 

Guests

5

08

29

 Lambert, Chuck, (for Ray Wolpow)

H

P

 

   TOTAL PRESENT:

39

08

30

 Yusa, Michiko

C

P

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

              DATE:  October 1, 2007

 

Article III.  Faculty Senate:  The Faculty Senate is empowered to speak and act for the Faculty in University affairs with particular responsibility in the areas of curriculum, academic programs, Faculty salary, Faculty status, scholarly activities, and all matters relating to the welfare of Faculty, the education of students, and the academic mission of the University. The Faculty Senate is limited to 30 voting members elected by the Faculty, and the President of the University, the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University, and a college dean appointed by the Provost serving as Provost's Council representative as ex officio non-voting members.    (Faculty Handbook, page 55)