Office: FA 320B
John Bower has spent 25 years studying the natural world. Getting his start as a birdwatcher, his research includes acoustic communication in bowhead whales and song sparrows, as well as population ecology of Pacific Northwest marine birds. Most recently, John and his family lived on Isla Robinson Crusoe, 500 miles off the coast of Chile, where he studied competition for flowers between the endangered and endemic Juan Fernandez firecrown hummingbird and the green firecrown, a recent arrival from the South American mainland. In his spare time, John gardens, play folk guitar, and spends time with his two kids and partner.
Animal Behavior, Animal Communication, Northwest Natural History and Ecology, Evolution, Music, Ornithology, Marine Bird Ecology, Pregnancy and Childbirth, Issues in Biology and Society.
- BOWER, J.L. 2009. Changes in marine bird abundance the Salish Sea: 1975 to 2007. Marine Ornithology 37: 9-17.
- ANDERSON, E.M., BOWER, J.L., NYSEWANDER, D.R., EVENSON, J.R. & LOVVORN, J.R. 2009. Changes in avifaunal abundance in a heavily-used wintering and migration site in Puget Sound, Washington during 1966–2007. Marine Ornithology 37: 19-27.
- Bower, J.L. 2005. The Occurrence and Function of Victory Displays Within Communication Networks. In: P.K.M. McGregor (ed.) Animal Communication Networks. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- Bower, J.L., & C.W.C Clark 2005. A Field Test Of The Accuracy Of A Passive Acoustic Location System. Bioacoustics. 15:1, pp. 1-14.
- Donovan, H.A. & J.L. Bower 2005. Drayton Harbor as Critical Marine Bird Habitat: Is the Harbor Ecologically Stable? Whatcom Watch. Bellingham, WA. January, 2005.
- Donovan, H.A. & J.L. Bower 2004. Study Finds Substantial Declines in Local Marine Bird Species. Whatcom Watch. Bellingham, WA. December, 2004.
- Bower J.L. 2003. Assessing Southern Strait of Georgia Marine Bird Populations Changes Since 1980: What We Know and What We Need to Know. In: Droscher, T. and D.A. Fraser (eds.): 2003 Georgia Basin/Puget Sound Research Conference Proceedings, March 31-April 3, 2003, Vancouver, British Columbia. Publisher: State of Washington, Olympia, WA.
- Bower, J.L. 2003. Pushing the Limits: New Computer Techniques for Studying Bird Song. In: Cornell Lab of Ornithology Handbook of Bird Biology. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Bower, J.L. 2003. Slowing Down: Evolution, Owen, and Robins. In: Stan Tag & Paul Piper (eds.) Father Nature: Fathers as Guides to the Natural World. University of Iowa Press, Iowa City, IA.