The Adventure Learning Grant
About | Purpose | Eligibility | Criteria | Expectations | Application & Contact | Frequently Asked Questions
The Adventure Learning Grant is a $15,000 stipend awarded annually to each of 2 Fairhaven students so that they may travel abroad to enrich their education with intellectual risk, challenge, and adventure. See Frequently Asked Questions for answers to many common questions and concerns about the Adventure Learning Grant.
Check out a few of the Adventure Learning Grant students...
The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education. The grants will enable Fairhaven students to have extended experiences with cultures outside of the United States and to integrate those experiences into Fairhaven College.
Applicants must have completed at least two quarters at Fairhaven by the end of fall quarter and must be committed to returning to Fairhaven for three quarters following the period of the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Creativity and ingenuity of proposed project
- Likelihood that proposed experience will challenge student's perspective
- Extent to which culture(s) the student will experience differs from that of the United States or other cultures with which student is intimately familiar.
- Student's commitment to integrating the Adventure Learning experience into the Fairhaven community.
- Probability that student will make full use of opportunities provided by the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Student's awareness of the importance of learning respectfully from the people and culture(s) visited.
Expectation of Grant Recipients
- Use the two quarters prior to the Adventure Learning Grant experience to prepare to take full advantage of the opportunities provided by the grant.
- Pursue the proposed project with curiosity and enthusiasm, making changes in consultation with advisor and ALG Coordinator to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Participate in a program of regular communication with Fairhaven College so that other students can share in and learn from your experiences and insights.
- Submit final report of activities and financial accounting within 30 days of return.
- Return to Fairhaven for a minimum of three academic quarters and conduct a program (lectures, slideshow, performances, teaching a class, etc.) to share experience in depth with other students.
- Conduct oneself in a responsible manner and avoid all illegal activities during the grant period.
Information & Application
ALG General Information (PDF, 63K)
ALG Application (PDF, 272K)
Frequently Asked Questions
See the FAQs page...
Deadlines - 2014
- Spring through October 2014 - Dissemination of information regarding Adventure Learning Grants; Preparation of applications; Solicitation of letters of recommendation.
- November 6, 2014- Applications due
- November 7-14, 2014 - Proposals read by committee
- November 18-19, 2014 - Interview finalists
- November 21, 2014 - Grant recipients announced
- Winter and Spring 2015 - Independent study preparation for Adventure Learning Grant
- Summer or Fall 2015 - Adventure Learning Grant begins!
College Calendar >
Adventure Learning Grant Recipient (2006-7):
"My major focused on economics, public policy, and energy, and I was keen to see how a state seizure of assets would affect one of the world's poorest countries..."