1) Do I have to live in a specific residence hall to participate in FIGs?
No, students may live in any residence hall or live off-campus.
2) Do I have to take English 101 before taking English 214, 235, 238 or 239?
No, there are no prerequisites to take English 214, 235, 238 or 239. Most first-year students do take ENG 101 during their first year at Western.
3) The FIG I registered for only has 12 credits. When can I add another class to my fall schedule?
First-year students are strongly encouraged to enroll for 14 to 16 credits. This means adding at least one more class to their schedule during Summerstart or during Fall Advising & Orientation in September.
4) Some FIGs include courses at the 200 or 300 level. Aren't freshman supposed to take 100 level courses?
First year students often take courses that are not at the 100 level. Any of the courses selected for FIGs permit freshman to enroll. Broadly stated, 100 level courses tend to be an introduction to a topic or a survey course. Courses in the 200 or 300 tend to be of a slightly narrower focus. For example, PSY 101 is "Introduction to Psychology" whereas PSY 240 is "Social Psychology."
Students pursuing most science or business degrees should meet with an advisor before registering for a FIG as their prerequisite requirements may not leave room in their schedule for a FIG. The only exception is Geology and Environmental Science students. Eligible students with these interests should enroll in FIG 4, which is designed for them.
6) Can I change my schedule at Fall Advising & Orientation if an advisor recommends something other than FIGs?
Yes! You may add or drop a FIG cluster during Fall Advising & Orientation. Please note that you will need to add or drop all three courses if you choose not to be in FIGs.
7) I accidentally registered for the wrong FIG. How do I change my registration?
Until July 31st, 2018, you may update your FIG registration online by clicking on "Register in Advance" and then "Edit or Change and Existing Registration". You will need your W# that you used to register.
8) I am in the Honors Program. Should I enroll in FIGs?
Please check with the Honors Program Office if you are interested in FIGs. Most students elect to enroll in the Honors First-year Sequence courses in lieu of a FIG.
9) I am a Fairhaven student. Should I enroll in FIGs?
Most Fairhaven students do not enroll in FIGs because they involve GUR courses. Please check with the Fairhaven College Advising Coordinator if you wish to enroll in FIGs.