JOHN FURMAN, Director
John Furman joined Western as the Director of Facilities Management in August 2011. John was an engineer and facility manager with the U.S. Coast Guard for 30 years. He is a registered professional engineer and a certified facility manager, and holds a BS in Civil Engineering from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy as well as an MS in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois. In addition to his Facility Management experience, John was an assistant professor of Civil Engineering at the Coast Guard Academy from 1992 - 1996.
Director of Facilities Management:
Phone: (360) 650-3496
Facilities Management's (FM) Administrative Services provides clerical and administrative support to the Director of Facilities Management, assistant directors, managers and staff.
FM's administrative office provides management, accounting, clerical and training services for the department and its operations, as well as the processing and maintenance of the organization's personnel paperwork and training records.
Administrative Services Manager:
Phone: (360) 650-3499
The following are key agreements with other campus departments and governmental agencies that clarify Facilities Management's related responsibilities.
- Memo of Understanding, regarding Outdoor Sculpture Collection Maintenance Agreement, Jan 2012.
- Memo of Understanding, Between Fairhaven College and the Associated Students of Western Washington University, Dec 2011.
- Memo of Agreement, Regarding the Commissary between the Housing & Dining System and Western Washington University, October 2011.
- Memo of Understanding, Business & Financial Affairs, Student Affairs/Academic Support Services and Associated Students (AS) Green Energy Fee Program, Jan 2011.
- Memo of Understanding between University Residences and Facilities Management, Dec 14, 2010.
- Memo of Understanding between Parking and Facilities Management regarding Parking Lot Maintenance Tasks, March 2008.
- Memo of Understanding between State of Washington, Office of the Secretary of State, Division of Archives and Record Management and Western Washington University, April 1993.
To date the operations and maintenance funding split is:
- Archives 64.2%
- WWU 35.8%
- Fiber Optics Interagency Agreement between Western Washington University and the City of Bellingham, July 2006.
- Clarifies fiber ownership, shared use and related maintenance/repair responsibilities of fiber through campus.
- Interlocal Agreement between City of Bellingham and Western Washington University Construction of Bill McDonald Parkway, 1993.
- This clarifies that WWU owns and maintains irrigation and landscaping within the city right-of-way.
- Sehome Arboretum Interlocal Agreement between City of Bellingham and Western Washington University 2005 thru 2015.
- Clarifies the shared responsibilities to manage the arboretum including maintenance work on trails provided by WWU.
Photo credit: Aaron Buma