General Studies B.A.
Description of Major
The general studies major is designed for students who want to spread their majors studies across courses and departments of their own choosing.
To fulfill the major students must complete 60 credits of upper-division course work within one or more of three areas. At least 50% of the credits used in the major must be earned at Western Washington University. A minimum of two departments must be represented. Students must earn a minimum of C- or better in courses for the major and Pass/No Pass grades do not apply.
Students are limited to no more than 40 upper division credits in any single academic department and students are limited to no more than 44 credits in courses taught in business (classes by the departments of accounting, decision sciences, finance and marketing, and management).
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher is required for graduation. The required writing proficiency course may be taken in any department.
Declaring a Major
BEFORE YOU VISIT THE GENERAL STUDIES ADVISOR TO DECLARE YOUR MAJOR, YOU MUST PRINT AND COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING FORMS AS DESCRIBED BELOW…
- Print a copy of your Academic History via Web4U.
- Log onto Web4U (for assistance contact the Registrar's Office at 360.650.3432.
- Click on Student
- Click on Student Records
- Click on Academic History
- Click on this link and fill out the General Studies Plan of Study.
- Complete a Degree Evaluation.
- Login to Web4U
- Select Student
- Select Student Records
- Select Degree Evaluation
- Select a Term (Select current term; Submit)
- Select What-if Analysis link at the bottom of the page
- Select a Term
- Select a Program: BA Humanities & Social Sciences
- Select First Major: General Studies and Department: University
- Click Generate Request
- Print out Degree Evaluation
- After completing steps 1-3, schedule an appointment with the General Studies Advisor and bring your academic history, plan of study, and degree evaluation.
- Complete Major Declaration Card with the General Studies Advisor and return to Registrar
Applying to Graduate
BEFORE YOU VISIT THE GENERAL STUDIES ADVISOR FOR YOUR MAJOR EVALUATION, YOU MUST PRINT A CURRENT COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT AND A DEGREE EVALUATION (AS DESCRIBED IN STEP #1 and #3 ABOVE). WHEN YOU HAVE DONE THIS, YOU SHOULD:
- Meet with General Studies advisor
- Complete Application for Graduation
- Obtain major-evaluation from advisor
- Obtain any relevant minor-evaluations
- Return all paperwork to Registrar by due date