Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships are available in limited numbers for most graduate programs offered on WWU's main campus in Bellingham. Assistantships are not available for off-campus programs.

To be eligible for a TA position, you must have full admit status to the Graduate School (not provisional status) or, if a current student, be making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

If you wish to be considered for an assistantship position, please send us an email using the link at right, and also provide (as an attached file or through the regular mail) a resume which addresses the following:

  • Scholarships, fellowships, special awards received
  • Affiliation with professional organizations
  • Professional and/or work experiences
  • Special abilities or qualifications relevant to graduate assistantship responsibilities

If you are awarded an assistantship, you will receive a letter from the Graduate School.

Graduate students are limited to no more than the equivalent of six full-time quarters of service as graduate teaching assistants.

Appointments & Stipends

Full-time appointments require 20 hours of service per week; half-time appointments require 10 hours of service per week.

Students receiving a full-time appointment may not accept other on-campus employment during the time they are in pay status as graduate assistants. Students receiving a half-time appointment may accept other on-campus employment up to 9 hours per week during the time they are in pay status as graduate assistants.

Graduate teaching assistants funded by the Graduate School receive a stipend and a partial tuition waiver for eligible enrollment.

Not all positions referred to as "Graduate Assistant" or "Teaching Assistant" provide the same stipend, tuition waiver and insurance benefits. If you have questions or need clarification regardind the position or benefits, please contact the academic department.


Research Assistantships

Some students may be hired as Research Assistants (RAs) by faculty with external funding (grants). Contact the department for information on faculty members who have received grant funding.

International Students

We cannot accept and process international applications without the financial guarantee documents required for the student visa. Because of our concern for student welfare, we must be sure that students admitted to the University have resources which will permit them to meet their tuition, food and lodging needs, and other expenses. We regret that we do not have the funds to offer financial aid for international students and the availability of teaching assistantships is limited. International students are generally not eligible for the teaching assistantship during the first year in order to exhibit the requisite English language skills and adapt to the new learning environment.

We encourage international applicants to explore opportunities offered through the Fulbright Programs.


Page Updated 05.13.2016