Most materials, including unofficial transcripts, your Statement of Purpose, and writing samples (if required), are required to be uploaded at the time you submit your application. Preparing them in advance will expedite your process.
If you have questions about the application, please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance. Our staff is available Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm (Pacific Time), at (360) 650-3170 or email@example.com
As an international applicant, you will need additional processing time for your international transcript evaluation and visa application. In some countries, 6 to 8 months is required. Contact the local U.S. consulate for processing requirements. Learn about U.S. travel at the Department of State.
Not all programs accept applications for all quarters. Consult the Application Requirements page for program-specific application deadlines.
International students are not eligible for financial aid and must provide verification of funding for one year of expenses. The Graduate Teaching Assistantship is generally not awarded during the first year of study to ensure that students (whose primary language is not English) demonstrate English language competency.
Complete the Statement of Financial Responsibility online, then print, scan, and upload the form to your online application. Scan and email original verification of funding and sponsor letter (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not wish to send documents electronically, you can mail the Statement of Financial Responsibility, verification of funding and sponsor letter (if applicable) to the following address:
WWU Graduate School
516 High Street, Old Main 530
Bellingham, WA 98225-9037
Additional visa information is available on the Department of State website.
English Language Proficiency
- English is your native language, or
- you have earned, or are in the process of earning, a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand or English-speaking provinces of Canada.
Official TOEFL or IELTS scores must be on file in the Graduate School office when the application is received.
TOEFL or IELTS scores must be no older than one year at the time of application.
You are required to upload a scanned or electronically generated unofficial transcript from each post-secondary institution attended as part of the application. Provide a copy of your diploma if your transcript does not list the degree awarded.
If you are admitted, a final, official transcript from each institution is still required before you can enroll. If your undergraduate degree is still in progress, please upload current transcripts at the time of application. If you are admitted and choose to attend WWU, you will be required to submit a final official transcript showing the award of the baccalaureate degree prior to registration.
- Documents must be issued within the last two years at the time of application.
- To be considered official, transcripts must be in sealed envelopes prepared by the university or college; attested / certified copies prepared by the institution may be accepted if originals cannot be provided by the institution.
- All transcripts and diplomas must be translated into English by the institution, Ministry of Education (or equivalent), or an accredited agency.
Choosing the WES ICAP product for your credential evaluation eliminates the need to provide an official transcript to our office.
Applicants attending institutions in China must request official transcripts from the Ministry-authorized verification offices listed below; transcripts directly from an institution cannot be considered official.
- China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC)
- China Higher Education Student Information & Career Center (CHESICC)
This is NOT in lieu of official transcripts, but an additional requirement.
- If your degree was earned outside the US or Canada, submit an official course-by-course credential evaluation from World Education Services, Inc. We recommend the WES ICAP product because it eliminates the need to provide an official transcript to our office.
- You must have earned, or must be in the process of earning, a degree that is equivalent to a four-year U.S. baccalaureate prior to beginning the graduate program.
- The degree-granting institution must be recognized by the Ministry of Education (or equivalent) in the country where the degree was earned.
Please contact the Graduate School office if you have questions or need clarification on these requirements. Applications cannot be sent to the department for admission consideration until all required documents are received.
Other Admissions Test Scores — GRE / MAT / GMAT
All international applicants must submit program-specific admissions test scores.
The Graduate School must receive the GRE or GMAT score reports directly from the Educational Testing Service, and receive the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score reports directly from the Psychological Corporation.
Test scores must be on file prior to any admission decision.
Some programs do not require an admissions test if the applicant holds an advanced degree equivalent to the U.S.(master’s, Ph.D, M.D., J.D., etc.); consult the Application Requirements page for details.
International Student & Scholar Services
Contact ISSS, which supports international students at Western with immigration, practical matters, and social and cultural adjustment.
The application fee is $100.
Please note: Application fees are non-refundable.