Ross Travel Grant
The Funds are available to support travel for graduate students to present papers at professional meetings and conferences, to exhibit works of art at national and international showings, and to perform, direct or produce within professional performing arts venues.
- The applicant must be a graduate student in good standing and a graduate student at the time of the travel.
- Prior to travel, the applicant must supply evidence that her/his paper (art or performance) has been accepted for presentation at a professional meeting or venue of her/his discipline. The notification of conditional award may be given prior to official notice of acceptance. However, no funds will be disbursed unless notification of acceptance is received.
- If the paper is co-authored, the applicant must appear on the program as the presenter of the paper. Only one author or performer will be funded per paper or performance.
- For those fields in which the presentation is given at a professional conference, higher priority will be given to full papers than to poster.
- National and international conferences and venues are given higher priority than regional conferences and venues or a single institution-sponsored event. The standing of the conference in the discipline, as evaluated by the department chair, influences the priority given.
- The award covers the amount equivalent to the minimum airfare or other public transportation cost to the conference city, with a maximum of $500.
- granted to any single applicant. Ground transportation, lodging, per diem and registration fees are generally not covered.
- Contact your departmental administrative assistant for informationon air travel. For travel purposes, the graduate student is reimbursed as if he/she was a WWU employee and must follow all WWU travel policies and regulations &nash; POL-U5348.10
- Applications are considered competitively. Four review cycles occur per year; deadlines are Oct 1, Dec 15, March 15, May 15. All applicants will be notified approximately one week after the deadline.
- No retroactive requests will be considered.
- Eligibility for awards from this fund is limited to one award per student during her/his tenure as a graduate student at WWU.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter from the department chair, program advisor, or the faculty member working closest with the applicant on the project, assessing the ranking and/or significance of the conference in the applicant's discipline.
- After returning from the conference, each awardee will be expected to write a letter to Dr. James Ross, c/o Graduate School, briefly describing how the presentation enhanced her/his graduate experience at Western.