The best way to prevent osteoporosis is to focus on controllable risk factors such as exercise, estrogen, smoking, nutrition, alcohol and caffeine intake 19,36,2. Below are key factors to the prevention of osteoporosis:
- Perform bone mineral tests and evaluations on both pre and postmenopausal women.
- Maintain a healthy diet that includes enough dietary calcium. Supplements may be taken if needed 25.
- Engage in regular weight bearing strength training exercise 20.
- Avoid excessive drinking and cease smoking all together.
- Consider hormone therapy as a preventative option 38,49.