Directed Independent Study Guidelines and Requirements.
- Directed Independent Study allows students to pursue an educational experience not available through regular catalog course offerings.
- The Independent Study course contract meets or exceeds the demands of graduate courses carrying equal credit in the department.
- The Independent Study instructor must have graduate faculty status.
- Independent Study DOES NOT:
replace a regularly offered graduate course;
include thesis-related work;
include anything for which payment is received (internships/graduate assistantships).
- Independent Study is limited to a maximum of 10 credits toward degree requirements.
- No more than ten credits of Directed Independent Study may be applied toward satisfying the degree requirements without additional approval from the Graduate School. Some programs may have further restrictions, please consult the university catalog and/or your program advisor.
Western Washington University