History – Elementary
The History – Elementary major is designed for students who will also complete the elementary education teacher certification program through Woodring College of Education. This major does not result in an endorsement in history. This major requires 45 credits, 15 of which must be at the upper-division (300-400) level. With careful planning, some of these courses may also satisfy general education requirements (GURs). A minimum grade point average in the major of 2.50 is required for graduation, and no course with a grade of less than C (2.0) may count toward the major. Courses should be distributed as follows:
- Two courses in United States history
- Two courses in European history
- Two courses from one of the following areas: East and South Asia; or Africa and the Middle East; or Western Hemisphere (outside U.S.)
- HIST 391 - History of the Pacific Northwest
- Electives under advisement
Information about elementary education programs may be obtained by visiting the department website at http://www.wce.wwu.edu/Depts/ELED. Applicants who wish to speak with a faculty advisor may request an appointment through the elementary education department office in Miller Hall 262. The office phone number is 360-650-3336. Program manager Ellen Kreider can also be contacted via email at Ellen.Kreider@wwu.edu.