Medical/Dental Insurance
for Faculty & Staff
- Add a Child

Insurance Eligibility

If you are a Western faculty or staff member who is enrolled in a medical and/or dental plan, your eligible dependents can be enrolled in the same plan you have for yourself. If you have previously waived your own health insurance coverage, you cannot enroll your dependents. You can enroll yourself at the next open enrollment, or with a qualifying change in family status. Qualifying changes in family status with respect to children are:

  • Birth of a child, adoption of a child, or placement of a child for adoption

  • Responsibility for an “extended dependent”

    • Extended dependents are defined by the Health Care Authority as children who are not yours, but for whom you are the legal guardian or have legal custody. Health insurance coverage for extended dependents requires Health Care Authority approval.

  • When you have previously waived health insurance coverage and your child loses the non-state, continuous health insurance coverage

    • If your dependent child meets the enrollment criteria, PEBB-sponsored coverage will begin the first of the month after the other coverage is lost. Adding a dependent child due to loss of other group coverage requires Heath Care Authority approval.

Coverage for newborns and newly-adopted children can begin at the date of birth. It can also begin the date you assume legal responsibility for the child’s support in anticipation of adoption. There are important deadlines for adding dependents to your health insurance plan, so act quickly. You can add a dependent child to your health insurance plan as follows:

  • Within 60 days* of birth, adoption or assumption of the legal obligation to care for the child;

  • Within 60 days of loss of other coverage, by providing proof of lost coverage; or,

  • At the next open enrollment period.

*Note: If adding the child increases the premium, the subscriber must submit the appropriate enrollment form no later than 12 months after the date of birth. Subscriber may not change plans or add a spouse outside the 60-day special open enrollment. Retroactive premiums will be due back to the date of birth.

Top of Page

Dependent Children

The term “dependent child” includes the following:

  • Children through age 25:

    • Who are naturally born, legally adopted, or a stepchild; or,

    • For whom you have legal responsibility for supporting in anticipation of adoption; or,

    • Whom you support under a court order or divorce decree.

  • Children of any age with a disability, provided the child is incapable of self-support and the disability, mental illness, intellectual, or other developmental disability occurred before age 26. The PEBB Program certifies dependents with disabilities periodically beginning at age 26. Proof of disability and dependency must be provided to the Health Care Authority upon application.
  • Married children who qualify as your dependents under the Internal Revenue Code and “extended dependent” children approved by the Health Care Authority.


Top of Page

Starting Your Child's Health Insurance Coverage

Complete the Public Employees Benefits Board Enrollment/Change Form. Be sure to include valid dependent documentation.

Send the completed form to Western Washington University's Benefits Office.

Top of Page

          AHA 2012 Platinum Achievement 2014 Leaders In Health Care Award Western Sustainability Office Certification
Page Updated 12.04.2014