Nursing Mothers Program
Western strongly supports employees and students who are nursing mothers, and understands the need for a private, secure and clean space to express milk or nurse.
Private rooms are available for students and employees to breastfeed or express milk. Additionally, employees may breastfeed or express milk in their own private office or in other private locations agreed upon in consultation with the employee's supervisor and the Disability Administrator in Human Resources.
The following locations are available to both employees and students:
- Old Main 100 N – Down the hall from Student Business Office
- Old Main 100 P – Down the hall from Student Business Office
- Old Main 401 – Located in VP of BFA office suite
- Arntzen Hall 521A – Lounge located in Women’s restroom on 5th floor
For alternative temporary locations, contact Space Administration at 360.650.3222 to inquire about other options.
Procedure to Reserve Space
Old Main 100 N & P
- View the calendar titled "res.rm.OM100P" or “res.rm.OM100N” on Outlook.
- Schedule an appointment invite to res.rm.OM100P@wwu.edu or res.rm.OM100N@wwu.edu with the desired dates and times.
- To use room, go to Student Business Office (open 9 am to 4 pm) to check out a key.
- Go to Student Business Office to reserve a time and check out a key
Old Main 401
- View the calendar titled "Nursing Mothers Room OM401" on Outlook.
- Schedule an appointment invite to res.rm.OM401@wwu.edu with the desired dates and times.
Arnzten Hall 521A
- Employees & Students:
- No reservation necessary. Lounge is located within Women’s restroom on 5th floor with deadbolt on inside.
Guidelines for Use of Rooms
- Follow the procedure above for reserving space if applicable.
- Review and comply with the Children on Campus policy (POL-U5950.11) if you will be nursing your child on campus.
- Plan for storage/cooling if not using the fridge provided in room OM 401.
- Review the Break Time for Nursing Guidelines (for staff only).
- Lock the door when in use to ensure privacy.
- Do not exceed your time that is reserved.
- Clean up after each use out of respect for the next user.
Check with your medical insurance carrier about reimbursement for the cost of a breast pump.
- Human Resources: Julie Moon, Disability Administrator 360.650.3771
- U.S. Department of Labor Fact Sheet "Break Time for Nursing Mothers under the FLSA"
- Associated Students Women's Center, VU 514 or call 360.650.6114
- Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students (U.S. Dept of Education)