Volunteer Registration Program
Departments who desire to take on a volunteer to provide a service on behalf of the university are encouraged to register the volunteer with Human Resources to ensure they have limited worker's compensation and liability coverage. To qualify, volunteers must meet the definition as described by law (RCW 51.12.035)
Volunteers who will be performing security sensitive duties are required to have a criminal conviction verification conducted (see assessment form). Department heads may also request a background check for other volunteer positions at their discretion.
Only volunteers registered with the Volunteer Program are covered by the state Industrial Insurance Code which provides limited medical aid benefits in the event the volunteer suffers injury or death while performing volunteer services for the University. Should a volunteer sustain injury while performing services for the University, the required procedure for reporting the injury and processing of a state Industrial Insurance claim is the same as for employees.
Registered volunteers are protected under Washington State's Self-Insurance Liability Program for defense and settlement of tort liability claims arising from their negligent actions while acting within the scope of their authorized volunteer duties.
When permitted by their supervisor, registered volunteers may drive a University vehicle after completing WWU's Basic Driver Safety Program and Large Passenger Van Training (if applicable). Supervisors must review and complete the state requirements for driver safety.
Volunteers may be eligible for a parking permit. More information and an application can be obtained through the Department of Public Safety Volunteer Parking Website.
- Provide Application to volunteer to complete Section 1
- Complete Section 2 of Volunteer Application
- Complete Security Sensitive Position Assessment to determine if volunteer needs a criminal background check completed
- If the volunteer will be driving a University vehicle:
- Provide volunteer with Criminal Conviction Verification Form (CCV) (if applicable)
- Send completed application, Security Sensitive Position Assessment and CCV (if applicable) to HR: MS 9054 or Fax: 360-650-2810
- Assist volunteer in completing Volunteer Parking Permit request, if needed
- Print out copies of the Volunteer Time Sheet for volunteer to complete and submit to you for approval at the end of each pay month
- Send timesheets to HR at the end of each month
- If the volunteer needs Banner access or an Outlook account to perform their duties, contact Human Resources at 650-3774
- Process received forms
- Notify supervisor and parking services when forms have been satisfactorily processed
Reporting Volunteer Hours
All departments with registered volunteers must provide the number of service hours for submittal to the Department of Labor and Industries for medial aid benefits and premium assessments.
- Volunteer Hourly Time Record - Departments are responsible for completing the Volunteer Hourly Time Record form and submitting it to Human Resources at the end of each pay period
Reporting Volunteer Injuries
Should a volunteer sustain injury while performing services for the University, the required procedure for reporting the injury and processing of state Industrial Insurance claims is the same as for employees.
- Volunteer completes WWU Accidental Injury/Occupational Illness Report
- If medical treatment is required,
- Volunteer and attending physician complete the standard State of Washington Department of Labor & Industries, Accident Report form (the form is available through physician or hospital).
- The injured person should indicate on the form that he/she is a "volunteer" and enter -0- under wages earned.
- The form is then submitted by the physician/hospital or volunteer to WWU Human Resources where it is logged and forwarded to the Department for completion. (The class number for Volunteers is 69-1.)
- The section completed by the Department is sent back to Human Resources and is then forwarded to the Department of Labor & Industries for their records and handling. A copy of the report form is maintained by Human Resources.
- Human Resources will notify the Risk Management Office of any claims submitted by volunteers.
Volunteer Industrial Insurance benefits cover medical costs only.
For questions about the volunteer program call Human Resources at 360-650-3774.
For questions about medical and liability coverage, call Environmental Health & Safety at 360-650-3064.