Wellness Employee of the Quarter Winner
Fall 2013 Wellness Employee of the Quarter
Get to know Grace:
- What do you do at Western? I’m on the faculty at Huxley College, teaching Environmental Studies and Sustainability.
- Favorite thing about your job? Interacting with students, engaging in lots of dialogue about sustainability and environmental issues.
- Which exercise class(es) you are taking? Whole Body Fitness with Kate. (I’m also a runner.)
- Favorite exercise moves? Upper body workouts
- Favorite part of the class? Kate’s energy, and her motivation!
- Best part about participating in worksite wellness? Convenience and also seeing the camaraderie among fellow participants.
- How has this exercise class impacted your life? Has given me more energy, and lets me eat (more) ice cream. :)
- Your biggest tip(s) for staying well? Schedule it in my planner.
- Favorite place in Bellingham? Lots – interurban Trail, Larabee, and Lake Padden.
- Favorite food? What isn’t? Guess I’d have to go with La Fiamma pizza.
- Hobbies? Running, reading.
- Dream vacation spot? New Zealand!
- Favorite Quote? “Some are born in their place, some find it, some realize after long searching that the place they left is the one they have been searching for.” -Wallace Stegner
Summer 2013 Wellness Employee of the Quarter
Get to know Dana:
- What do you do at Western? I'm the Program Assistant for Special Events in the Foundation office.
- Favorite thing about your job? Nice work environment!
- Which exercise class(es) you are taking? Zumba and NIA
- Favorite exercise moves? I love all the fun, sassy choreography in Zumba. And I really enjoy the rhythmic deep breathing and meditative dance style of NIA. Both classes are so freeing and invigorating in their own way!
- Favorite part of the class? The combination of great music, awesome instructors and peppy-positive group energy!
- Best part about participating in worksite wellness? The lunchtime fitness classes are really convenient and a much needed movement break from my desk.
- How has this exercise class impacted your life? These classes make me feel more fit, energetic and generally happier the rest of the day! Dancing is so good for a healthy mind and body!
- Your biggest tip(s) for staying well? Find a way you love to move and schedule it into your weekly routine.
- Favorite place in Bellingham? Stimpson Nature Reserve
- Favorite food? Sushi
- Hobbies? Hiking, walking my dog Penny, going to shows (music, theatre, comedy), cooking/eating, reading, making beaded jewelry, watching Star Trek, playing Scrabble or Settlers of Catan.
- Dream vacation spot? I really want to go to the Guca Music Festival in Serbia!
- Favorite Quote? Imagination is more important than knowledge. –Albert Einstein
Spring 2013 Wellness Employee of the Quarter
Get to know Madoka:
- Job Title at Western? Visiting Assistant Professor, Modern & Classical Languages
- Favorite thing about your job? I love my students! They are hardworking, friendly and they push themselves. I enjoy seeing them network and help each other.
- Exercise class you are taking? PM Iyengar Style Yoga with Erica Quam.
- Favorite yoga poses? Warrior and Sun Salutation.
- Favorite part of the class? Everyone who is in the class is so nice, friendly and cheerful. It is also very challenging, and I really enjoy Erica’s lesson at the beginning of class. I also love the balance and the give and take of energy within yoga.
- Best part about participating in worksite wellness? My schedule is so tight and busy that if I have to go somewhere off campus it would be too hard. It is a very convenient and high quality class.
- How has this exercise class impacted your life? It has impacted my life in so many ways. It has impacted me physically and mentally. It gives me time to be calm and be in the moment.
- Your biggest tip(s) for staying well? Yoga! Teaching is not always easy and can be stressful. It is a good outlet for me and gives me a chance to slow down. Also, eat healthy and drink lots of water.
- Favorite place in Bellingham? Boulevard Park and Chuckanut Drive.
- Favorite food? Sushi
- Hobbies? Watching Korean films, walking outside and drawing.
- Dream vacation spot? New Zealand