The Industrial Design program at Western Washington University requires an Entrance Portfolio submission in order to declare a major in Industrial Design. This initial screening process helps to determine a candidate's potential for success within the program.
In order to maintain academic program quality in relation to faculty, staff and facilities, the program limits the number of applicants admitted. The school reserves the right to be the sole judge of who shall be accepted into the program. In order to declare a major in industrial design, an applicant must submit an entrance portfolio to the Industrial Design program and have been accepted to the university. If applicants are not accepted, they may reapply the following quarter after improving the content of their portfolio.
A portfolio is a collection of an applicant's best creative work, revealing the applicant's creative skills and presented as professionally as possible. Do not include imitations of photographs or other artist’s work. Do not include any work that would be considered copyright infringement. The applicant's entrance portfolio recommends examples in the following areas:
- Sketching (examples of hand-drawn sketches that express ideas, and creative problem solving, show a variety of concepts, or demonstrate an ability to draw)
- 2D design (examples of page layout, composition, color, etc. as demonstrated in an illustration, advertisement, website, painting, photography or other 2-dimensional work)
- 3D design (examples of form development, construction, and craftsmanship as demonstrated in a 3-dimensional piece such as a model, sculpture, structure, woodworking, clothing, jewelry, etc.)
- Computer skills (examples of drawing/image editing software programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or equivalent. Or examples of computer-aided drafting [CAD], Solidworks, Rhinoceros, SketchUp, Fusion360, Blender, etc.)
Portfolios will be reviewed by an Industrial Design committee three times per year prior to the quarter of acceptance into the major. Submission deadlines are:
- October 21st for winter quarter
- February 14th for spring quarter
- April 22nd for fall quarter
Download the following PDF application, complete and include in your portfolio.
A maximum of twelve original pieces (or 18 total pages) are allowed. A piece may be allotted more than one page. The file must be a PDF with the applicant’s last name at the start of the file name, such as “MorrisIDportfolio.pdf” This PDF must be less than 25 MB in size if sent via email. Video, animation or other time-based materials may be sent on a flash drive or a linked web address.
Each piece is to be clearly marked with the applicant's name, title of the project, medium (or software/materials) used, size, date of completion, and the story behind the piece. In the case of professional or group projects, applicants should indicate their personal contributions and responsibilities.
Portfolios may be emailed, shipped or hand delivered on a flash drive to the Engineering Administrative office #204 on the 2nd floor of the Engineering Building.
Please include current contact info (email, telephone, address) so that we can contact you regarding your application.
Send application and portfolio to:
Western Washington University
516 High St.
Bellingham, WA 98225