Online Pre-Departure Orientation
Students who have applied to participate in a study abroad, internship or exchange program are required to complete the International Programs and Exchanges online Pre-Departure Orientation prior to their departure. Please access the IPE Pre-Departure Orientation.
Students who are participating in a study abroad, internship or exchange program should review the International Programs & Exchanges Pre-Departure Handbook. The handbook is one reference tool to assist you in preparing for your study abroad experience. Used in conjunction with the IPE Pre-Departure Orientation Away We Go, the online Pre-Departure Orientation, or the Pre-Departure Orientation class, this handbook should help you explore basic issues like homestays, money management and culture shock. However, you should anticipate doing your own exploration into the many related areas of an international experience. This holds true for country-specific information, as this handbook does not substitute for your own research about your host country.
More Pre-Departure resources:
- Study Abroad Student Handbook available through the Center for Global Education. Visit this site to view country and culture information as well as pre-departure tips.
Tickets and Accommodations
Bakpak Guide to Europe
Download free copies of Europe Hostels & Travel Guides.
More than 50,000 holiday homes throughout Europe!
STA Travel Seattle
STA offers a special Ticketing Program for study abroad students. You can lock in your ticket price as early as you need with a non-refundable deposit of $300. Then at any point up to 7 days before departure you pay the remaining balance. Contact STA Seattle for details: 877-216-5830, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Seattle STA office.
Student discounts on travel
Live Learn Explore
Prontohotel is an innovative hotel search engine that allows users to find the best rate scanning the best hotel reservation websites
Connect with new friends all around the world
Discover the real hostel experience
Home to the world's greatest Hostels and B&B's
- Eurail (for non-European residents)
- InterRail (for European residents and students living in Europe for six consecutive months or longer)
- Norwegian State Railways
- Rail Europe
- Blue Star Ferries (Mediterranean)
- P&O Ferries (North Sea, Britain)
- SeaCat and Hoverspeed (Britain)
- Trasmediterranea (Spain)
- Viking Line (Baltic Sea)
Foreign Consulates & Embassies in U.S.
Passports and Visas
- Passport Information - U.S. Department of State
- IPE Handout on Obtaining Passports
- Foreign Visas for U.S. Students - U.S. Department of State
Visas for Short-term Summer Education Abroad Programs - U.S. Department of State
- Youth Vote Overseas Online access to voter registration needs for overseas American citizens who wish to participate in federal elections.
American Express Travel Finances
Traveler's Cheques, Foreign Currency, TravelFunds Cards
Send and receive money anywhere
- Universal Currency Converter
- Safety Tips for Living and Traveling Abroad
- Study Abroad Safety Handbook
- International Travel Information
- Study Abroad Safety Tips for Female Students
- Sexual Harassment and Prevention in College Students Studying Abroad
- Health and Safety - U.S. Department of State
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
For Western students, faculty and staff traveling abroad and engaged in educational activities, a number of health plans are available. For student programs, Western requires evidence of health insurance (photocopy of insurance confirmation letter or I.D. card) and a completed Health Insurance Verification Form. The University policy Traveling Outside the U.S. (POL U5950.17) applies to travel abroad for students, faculty and staff.
- WWU Faculty & Staff Health Insurance Information
- CISI Cultural Insurance 1-800-303-8120 Click on “Study Abroad" and then "Study Abroad Individuals." The plan that meets our University recommendations is the "upgrade plan." The "basic" does not. You can enroll online.
- Wells Fargo - 1-800-853-5899 Click on "Study outside the U.S." and follow directions to "Washington Study Abroad - Outbound." You can enroll online.
- HTH Worldwide 1-888-243-2358 Click on "Global Student" and follow directions to "U.S. Students Abroad." You can enroll online.
Country Specific Information
- U.S. Department of State
- Center for Global Education
- Go Overseas
- Let’s Go Travel Guide
- HostelWorld Free Pocket Guides
- Study in Montreal
- Study in Australia
- North India Travel
The World is in your Hands Student Guide: African Americans Speak out and Share their Experiences (pdf)
Booklet published by the University of Pittsburg.
Access International Education: Resources for Underrepresented Groups in International Education
Includes resources for parents, students, administrators and researchers.
Mobility International (MUISA)
Empowering people with disabilities around the world through international exchange and international development to achieve their human rights.
Disability and Access Abroad
- Mobility International
- Inclusion International
- International Disability News Ticker
- European Accessibility Resources
- International Student Identity Card (ISIC): Student discounts around the world
- Café Abroad: Network, City Guide and Magazine for Students Abroad
- World Geography Quiz
- Dining Etiquette Quiz
- Matador Community: Travelers of the World, Unite!
- Green Passport - Make your travel sustainable
- Smart Phone Apps for Study Abroad
- Tips & Tricks for Planning an Ecotourism Trip: WWU Student Colleen Barrett, RECR 479 Ecotourism Project 2012