Immigration Documents: I-20 or DS-2019

This document allows you to apply for a student visa if you are outside the US, apply for student status within the US, enter and reenter the US in student status, and prove your eligibility for various mmigration benefits. The document indicates the institution in which you are permitted to study, your program of study, and the dates of eligibility. The I-20 or DS-2019 must remain valid at all times. Request an extension prior to its expiration date. Allowing the document to expire before you complete your academic program is a violation of status.

Students who will be in F-1 status will be issued an I-20, while students who will be in J-1 status will be issued a DS-2019. Generally, degree-seeking students will be in F-1 status, and exchange students will be in J-1 status.

F-1 Students

I-20s for incoming F-1 students will be issued by different offices depending on the student's level of study:

Intensive English/Conditional Admission Students: Intensive English Program,

Undergraduate Students: International Student & Scholar Services,

Graduate Students: Graduate School,

J-1 Students

Direct exchange students will be issued DS-2019s by ISSS. ISEP, NESA UGRAD, and other exchange program students will receive their DS-2019s from their programs. These students will need to be in contact with their programs, as well as ISSS, regarding immigration issues -- travel signatures, work authorization, changes to the DS-2019.



Page Updated 03.18.2019