International Student Scholarship 2018-2019
The International Student Scholarship is for current WWU international students. The International Acheivement Award is available to incoming international students. A number of other scholarships are available through the WWU Scholarship Center.
Each year, ISSS awards several scholarships to international students currently attending Western. The scholarships are awarded in the form of partial tuition waivers which may only be used during the following academic year.
Scholarship Application Guidelines
To apply, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be an undergraduate or graduate student who will attend WWU for at least two quarters during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- You must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the time of application.
- You must be an international student with non-immigrant F-1 visa status.
- You must have completed at least one quarter at WWU.
- You must maintain a full-time course of study, as stipulated by the F-1 visa regulations, during each quarter you receive the scholarship.
Please note that if you fall within any of the following categories, you are not eligible to apply:
- You are a student with J-1 visa immigration status (exchange student).
- You are sponsored by an external agency such as a home government, home university, or a private corporation.
- You have received a full-time graduate assistantship (research or teaching).
- You are enrolled in off-campus or extended programs.
Factors for Awarding Scholarships
The following factors will be used to select recipients of the International Student Scholarship:
- Scholarship essay (no more than 500 words): 50%
- GPA, academic achievement: 25%
- Recommendation from one faculty/staff member: 25%
- Complete the application form
- Prepare and collect the supplemental materials (listed on page 2 of the application)
- Submit the application and supplemental materials to email@example.com or MH 212 by 5pm Friday, May 18, 2018.
Note: Only complete applications will be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are included with the application.
Cultural Service Hours Requirement
All recipients of the International Student Scholarship are required to complete a minimum of 15 cultural service hours during the 2018-2019 academic year. These hours must be reported through the online Cultural Service Hours Reporting Form within one week of the activity. Some examples of activities through which students might earn cultural service hours include:
- Presenting at an international food event, such as Global Gourmets or the International Cooking Class
- Planning and participating in International Education Week activities
- Welcoming visiting international delegations
- Speaking to prospective international students
- Working with the Admissions Office to reach out to international applicants
- Assisting ISSS with the quarterly International Student Orientation
- Participating in interviews and profiles for print and digital marketing materials
- Speaking to local 5th graders during Compass 2 Campus visit day
- Giving a presentation about your country in the Bellingham community -- this could be at the public library, senior center, local schools, or other community organizations
- Organizing an event in which you teach a sport or game from your country
- Participating in language tables or volunteering for the Modern and Classical Languages Department
- Other activities that you would like to do, in consultation with the International Student Advisor