Events That Require I-20 Updates

Program Extension

If you are unable to complete your course of study before the completion date noted in Item 5 on your I-20, you must request an extended I-20 before your current I-20 expires.

Changing Schools

You must register full-time at WWU, since WWU issued your I-20 and oversees your SEVIS record. If you decide to transfer to another school, contact ISSS prior to completing your final quarter at WWU.

Change of Level

If you will complete your current program of study and plan to continue at the WWU in another program (for example, change from a Bachelor’s degree program to a Master’s program), your I-20 must be updated.

Change of Major

If you change your major (for example, from Biology to History), please contact your ISSS advisor so the change can be made on your I-20.

Change of Funding

If there is a substantial change in the source or amount of your funding, report this change to ISSS and a new I-20 will be issued to you. For example, if you receive a Research or Teaching Assistantship through your department, but your I-20 indicates that you use personal funds to pay for expenses, you should request a new I-20.

Name Change

The name on your I-20 should match the name on your passport. If you change any part of your legal name—first/given name, middle name, or last/family name—on your passport, this change should be reflected on your I-20. Conversely, if you want a different name on your I-20, ISSS will wait for you to change your passport first, before updating the I-20. Note that SEVIS is a separate database from the WWU database.


Page Updated 11.22.2017