The department of journalism has modern, technology-rich classrooms, computer labs,
and offices for faculty, staff and student publications.
Two of the computer labs and a small anteroom provide state-of-the art iMacs and software compatible with current journalism industry standards.
Each of our award-winning publications, The Western Front, The Planet, and Klipsun, have large production rooms with iMacs and state-of-the-art photography equipment.
The journalism library, funded by alumni donations, offers students current copies of a variety of daily and weekly local (Bellingham Herald, Everett Herald, etc.) and national (The Wall Street Journal) newspapers. A wide variety of periodicals and journals, such as Atlantic Monthly, Columbia Journalism, Editor and Publisher, Harpers Magazine, High Country News, Indian Country Today, Mother Jones, Nation, New Yorker, People, PR Week, Sports Illustrated, Time, Wired, and Yes! is also available to students.
The main office for the department provides students with information about hundreds of local, regional and national internships as well as scholarships specific to journalism students. The journalism department is endowed with funds for up to ten scholarships a year. The Adele Saltzman Memorial Fund is available for small, short-term, interest-free loans to journalism students.
What follows are a number of links which should be good starting points for journalism students in doing research, finding job opportunities, and online publications around the Web. Although it is mainly directed toward students in Western's journalism department, it is by no means exclusive to these individuals. Feel free to add this URL to your link list.
- The Reporter's Guide for Freedom of the Press - Many links for press law issues such as the First Amendment, Freedom of Information Act, Open Meetings and Records
- The Freedom Forum First Amendment Center
results for press and law from Cornell's Supreme
- The Society of Professional Journalists
- The Society of Environmental Journalists
- The Pacific Northwest Newspaper Association
- The Washington Newspaper Publishers Association
Research and Reference:
- Journalism Jobs
- National Press Photographers Association (must be a member to use this site)
- UC Berkeley Journalism Job Bank
- The Society for News Design
- Job Positions in Higher Education
- Journalism jobs, internships, & more...
- The Port Townsend-Jefferson County Leader
- The News Tribune (Tacoma)
- Stanwood/Camano News
- North West News Online - Includes Northlake News, Valley View and Woodinville Weekly Online editions.
- The Lynden Tribune
- Washington Free Press
- Seattle Times - Top news stories (Archived since Feb 1, 1996), Personal Technology section, special sports news, educational materials, classifieds
- The Columbian (Vancouver, WA)
- The Vancouver Sun (British Columbia)
- The Issaquah Press
- The Everett Herald
- The Olympian
- The (Bainbridge) Island Review
- Tri-City Herald (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, Washington)
- The Daily of the University of Washington
- The Online Evergreen at Washington State University
- Wenatchee The World
- The Bellingham Herald
- ESPNET SportsZone
- American Journalism Review - (AJR) magazine and online media guide
- Columbia Journalism Review - (CJR)
- Nieman Reports - an archive of some past articles
- The IRE Journal - Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc.
- Press Release 24-7