Volunteer in the outdoors!
Everybody is welcome and appreciated!
You don't need to be a Western student, faculty, staff or enrolled in a specific class to come to any of our work parties. Come volunteer at a site close to campus or discover a new area within the Bellingham community.
Your support helps restore native environments and increase biodiversity. We hope to see you at a work party soon!
What to Wear - and Not!Please come Prepared:
- LEAD works rain or shine, so wear your best working outfit
- Wear warm clothing that you don't mind getting wet or dirty
- Layers are best because the weather often changes during the work party
- Make sure your shoes are waterproof (Uggs are not usually waterproof unless you have sprayed them)
- Bring a waterbottle to help you stay hydrated
- We provide work gloves but bringing an extra set of regular gloves never hurts :-)
Looks that LEAD!
Looks that lose!
- New or gently used gardening tools
- New or gently used tarps
- New gardening gloves
- New or gently used buckets
- Non-perishable snackbars for work party volunteers
- Food or beverages for our work party volunteers
If you are able to donate anything from our wish list, you can bring it to our office (or we will gladly pick it up).
Please contact us so we can make an appointment meet and thank you in person :-)
Directions to Our Office Viking Commons, Room 24:
- Start in front of the doors to the Viking Commons dining hall (not in front of the Viking Union entrance).
- Begin walking down the hill on the sidewalk.
- At the end of the Viking Commons building take a left down the ramp.
- At the end of the ramp, there will be two double doors to your left.
- VC 24 (our shared office) is the second door on the right, inside the double doors.
If you are able to donate a gift card, you can send it to...
LEAD Office, MS9106
Western Washington University
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
AprilSat April 4th: Padden Creek ~ 10am - 12pm
Come join Bellingham Parks and Nooksack Salmon Enhancement Association at this water front location! We will be planting natives and removing invasive plants along Padden Creek. Park on Harris Street, look for signs to trail head. Bus Info
|Sat April 11th: Squalicum Creek Park - 10am-12pm
We could use 100 volunteers for this work party so please recruit your friends and neighbors so that we can show up VIKING STRONG to HELP PLANT!! The newly opened park is in great need of planting so invasive plants do not move in! Park in the main lot off of Squalicum Parkway. Follow the signs to the work site. Bus Info
|Sat April 25th: Maritime Heritage Park ~ 10am - 12pm
Bellingham Parks and NSEA are working together for clean parks and creeks. Join us in clearing invasives from the hillside about the fish hatchery. Bus Info
MaySat May 2nd: Lowell Park ~ 10am-12pm
This park needs help managing it’s invasives. Help remove a large variety in this wooded area. Nearby parking is limited. Enter park on W College Way. Within easy walking distance of campus!
|Sat May 2nd: West Street Trail ~ 1:30pm-3:30pm
Remove weeds and spread mulch along this little stretch of park in the Columbia Neighborhood. Park in the neighbor-hood. Bus Info
|Sat May 9th: Rock Hill Park ~ 10am - 12pm
Help Park Steward Paige, and the York neighborhood work on this park. We will be removing blackberry and other invasive plants, along with mulching. Park in the lot off Iron Street. Bus Info
|Sat May 30th: Little Squalicum Park ~ 10am - 12pm
Come join ReSources and Bellingham Parks in caring for this great park! We will be removing blackberries and other invasives. Park in the Bellingham Technical College lot near 3006 W Illinois St and follow the signs. Bus Info
JuneSat June 13th: Connelly Creek Nature Area ~ 10am - 12pm
Joint party with City of Bellingham and the Boy Scouts. Come help Ryan work towards his Eagle Scout rank! We will be removing invasives, planting, and mulching. Park in the Whatcom Farmers Co-op parking lot off 30th (near 3000 Donovan Ave.) and follow the signs. Bus Info
|Sat June 6th: City Hall ~ 9am-11am
Bellingham Kiwanis and Parks will be gardening at City Hall. Join us in weeding. Park outside City Hall. Walking Directions