Assistant or Associate Professor of Math Education
Applications are invited for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Mathematics Education to begin Fall 2014. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application review begins November 25, 2013. The position is open until filled.
The successful candidate is expected to be an excellent teacher committed to undergraduate instruction and curriculum development in Secondary Mathematics Education (both content and methods). Teaching assignments will include some core mathematics courses, depending on the candidate’s interests. The current standard teaching load is two courses (about 9 classroom hours per week) per quarter. Scholarly and programmatic collaboration with colleagues, development of a strong refereed publication record, leadership in math education and curriculum development, departmental service, and the establishment of grant-funded projects are expected.
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in mathematics education or a related field by September 2014
- Master’s degree in mathematics or its equivalent (minimum of 24 graduate credits in mathematics or statistics)
- Evidence of active scholarship, including involvement with scholarly activity in mathematics education
- Evidence of effective teaching at the secondary or undergraduate mathematics level
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse colleague and student population
- For appointment at the Associate level, experience in the preparation of secondary teachers and sustained scholarly productivity are required
- Experience with professional development activities and outreach in K-12 education
- Substantial teaching experience in mathematics at the secondary level
- Experience working with pre-service or in-service teachers
- Interest and involvement with current developments in mathematics education
Application Instructions and Requested Documents
Please submit your application via WWU’s Electronic Application System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
Candidates must submit the WWU coversheet, which is available on the EASE application system, a vita, transcripts, a description of teaching accomplishments and philosophy, including a short statement on how the applicant’s experiences (academic or non-academic) have prepared them to effectively teach an increasingly diverse student body, and a statement of scholarly interests. Upload your materials as required by the EASE application system. Please do not send these materials as email attachments to the department. Additionally, three letters of recommendation addressing both teaching and research must be sent directly to the Math Department at the address below; either electronic or hardcopy format is acceptable.
For additional information please contact:
Mathematics Education Search
Department of Mathematics
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Bellingham WA 98225-9063
U.S.A. Tel.: (360) 650-3785
Fax: (360) 650-7788