Chinese Study Abroad


Dr. Janet Z. Xing

Procedures for Studying Abroad

Collecting Information

When you decide to pursue a program for studying Chinese abroad, you should first visit the Office of International Programs and Exchanges at Western Washington University in order to learn about general procedures. Then talk with your Chinese professors and students who have returned from study abroad. You should also visit relevant websites to collect sufficient information about studying Chinese abroad. You should think about when you will arrange the study, where you want to study, and what you want to accomplish while you are abroad. Normally, if you want to pursue Chinese study abroad in summer , you should start collecting information in October. Most programs have their application deadline in November.

Making Decisions

Once you have sufficient information about various Chinese study abroad programs, you should narrow down the prospective programs and discuss them with your Chinese professors. You should also talk to the director of the study abroad program which you are interested in and review their curriculum before making your decision.

Preparing the Application

After choosing a study abroad program or two, you should obtain the application package and complete it by the deadline. Meanwhile, make sure the credits you will receive from the study abroad program can be transferred to Western Washington University and that they will count toward graduation credits. You should ask your Chinese professor to evaluate the study abroad program and to ensure the number of credits you can transfer to Western.

Preparing to Leave for your Study Abroad Program

When you are accepted to a program, it is time to prepare for departure. A number of things you may prepare: 1) Entrance Exam--Most abroad programs have this type of exam. The purpose is to determine students' proficiency level of Chinese. This exam is normally conducted during the first few days of the program. 2) Items to Take:  These include clothing, books, money, etc. Often, the program will provide a list of things that you should bring. 3) Airfare and Travel Documents

Programs Previously Attended by Western Students

Associated Colleges in China, Hamilton College

Associated Colleges in China

198 College Hill Rd.
Clinton, NY 13323
Phone: 1-315-859-4326, 315-859-4778
Where: Beijing, Minzu University of China
When: Fall, Summer, Academic year, Spring

Associated Colleges in China (ACC): ACC is an intensive language program which offers many unique features such as Host Families, Language Practicum, Language Pledge, and highly individualized classes.

Spring term application deadline is October 15, 2010. Fulbright scholarships for srping applicants from $2000-4000 are available, as well as international travel scholarships from $1000-1200.

Asian Cultural Language Center — EducAsian

9363 Wilshire Bldv., Suite 212
Beverly Hills, CA 90210 USA
Phone: 1 888 ASIA NOW
Where: Beijing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Dalian, Hangzhou, Kunming, Suzhou
When: Spring/Fall, Summer, Winter Break

EducAsian: Affordable programs offering a unique blend of intensive Mandarin study,travel, and electives taught in English on Chinese History, Culture, and Political Economy.

CET Academic Programs

CET Academic Programs

1000 16th Street, NW, Suite 350
Washington, DC 20036 USA
Phone: 1-800-225-4262
Where: Beijing and Harbin

Chinese Language Program in Beijing and Harbin: Classes are held at Capital Normal University, College of Foreign Languages.

Curriculum Highlights: Small classes taught by specially-trained teachers.

Columbia University

1140 Amsterdam Avenue, Mail Code 3907
New York, NY 10027 USA
Phone: 1-212-854-5027
Where: Beijing
When: Summer

Columbia University in China: The program features a home-stay program and offers a nine-week course of language study equivalent to two semesters at Columbia.

Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Study at Tsinghua

Institute for East Asian Studies, 2223 Fulton Street, Room 511
Berkeley, CA 94720-2318 USA
Phone: 1-510-642-3873
Where: Beijing
When: Academic year, Summer

Overview: Intensive Chinese language training at third year level and above in small group and individual classes.

Other Chinese Study Abroad Programs

Council on International Educational Exchange

205 East 42 Street
New York NY 10017-5706
Tel:212-661-1414, ext. 1110; Fax 212-972-3231

The Hopkins-Nanjing Program

The Hopkins-Nanjing Program

The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
1619 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20036-2213
Tel: 202-663-5806; 1-800-3NANJIN, Fax:202-663-5891

CET Academic Programs

CET Academic Programs

1000 16th Street, NW, Suite 350
Washington, DC 20036 USA
Phone: 1-800-225-4262
Where: Beijing and Harbin

Inter-University Abroad for Chinese Language Studies

Inter-University Broad for Chinese Language Studies

Institute of East Asian Studies
University of California, Berkeley
2223 Fulton Street, Room 511
Berkeley, CA 94720
Tel/Fax: 510-642-3873

Princeton in Beijing

Princeton in Beijing

211 Jones Hall
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544-1008
Tel:609-258-4269; Fax:609-258-6984

Harvard-Beijing Academy

Harvard-Beijing Academy

Chinese Language Program
Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, Room 25
9 Kirkland Place, Harvard University
Cambridge, MA 02138, Attn: HBA;
(617) 384-9222; fax (617) 495-2247.

Page Updated 10.19.2012