The Jazz Studies program is off to a new start. Along with opportunities for performing in both large and small jazz ensembles, and curriculum in improvisation, students now enjoy a unique environment in which to listen and learn from WWU's top level jazz instructors. The new WWU Faculty Jazz Collective is a long-standing jazz quartet that has been performing together for years. Jazz Studies program director, Mike Allen (sax), along with affiliated instructors, Miles Black (piano), Adam Thomas (bass) and Julian MacDonough (drums) have recorded several albums together and hosted the Vancouver International Jazz Festival's official nightly jam session since its inception in 2003. They have performed with many of the festival's top visiting artists including Wynton Marsalis and members of his Lincoln Center Orchestra; Joshua Redman's new quartet; Chucho Valdes and his band; Kenny Werner, and countless other renowned guests. Additionally, each of WWU's jazz instructors offer private instruction, conduct big band sectionals and perform with student groups.
• Performs quarterly at publicly attended concert in the Performing Arts Center at Western Washington University.
• Performs works drawn from the standard repertoire as well as student and faculty arrangements and compositions.
Chamber Jazz Ensembles
• Perform monthly in combo seminars and quarterly at publicly attended concert in the Performing Arts Center at Western Washington University.
• Perform works drawn from the standard repertoire as well as student and faculty arrangements and compositions.
WWU Faculty Jazz Collective
- Mike Allen (saxophone) - Coordinator of Jazz Studies
- Miles Black (piano and guitar)
- Adam Thomas (acoustic and electric bass, vocals)
- Julian MacDonough (drums)
The new WWU Faculty Jazz Collective will perform regularly for, and work directly with students and their performing ensembles. Members of the FJC will guest lecture, hold master-classes and sectionals, and offer private instruction for students.
Emphasis is on original and classic ensemble repertoire encompassing a range of styles, and levels (beginner to advanced).
Mike Allen -- Jazz