Western Washington University · Bellingham, Washington
What Is the Study of Design?
The Department of Design identifies design as the visual communication of ideas. The program utilizes a curriculum that emphasizes the process of problem solving and encourages students to make connections between culture and design, and their role as visual communicators. Students learn to combine personal expression and critical thinking as they create solutions that connect industry to an audience and themselves to the world.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts Design is an optional expanded degree that builds upon the Bachelor of Arts major and requires one additional year of study in Design. Students are required to do a 10 credit internship during the summer quarter between the junior and senior year. The internship will be with contracted design firms. Students are expected to maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
If students enter the Design, BA major at the freshman or sophomore level, the Design, BFA may be completed within four years.
Why Should I Consider this Major?
Career opportunities are found in all segments of industry, both in the private and public sector. Western Design graduates go on to work in advertising agencies, design firms, in-house departments, web and interactive design firms, paper companies, printing firms, as well as serving as private consultants in corporate identity, environmental graphic design, packaging, user-interface and interactive design, publication and web design. They work as Print, Web, Motion graphics, and Interactive Designers, Design Educators, Project and Production Managers, and Digital Image Makers.
How to Declare:
The Bachelor of Fine Arts Design is an expanded degree that requires one extra year of studies in Design. Admittance to the BFA degree option is through the BFA Portfolio Review. It takes place winter quarter of the junior year and is based upon work completed fall quarter and in progress winter quarter. The deadline for the review will be found on the department website. The portfolio will be reviewed by the Design Faculty and evaluated on the basis of the professionalism of the portfolio.
Send application to:
Design BFA Review Committee
Western Washington University, Department of Art
Fine Arts Complex, Room 116
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225-9068
Students are advised to see the department for GPA requirements within the major.
- DSGN 111 - Design View
- DSGN 211 - Foundations of Visual Communication
- DSGN 220 - Visual Communication I
- DSGN 240 - Visual Communication II
- DSGN 250 - Visual Communication III
- DSGN 260 - Visual Communication IV
- DSGN 312 - Graphic Design in the 20th Century
- DSGN 330 - Typography I
- DSGN 331 - Typography II
- DSGN 340 - Graphic Design: 2D
- DSGN 341 - Graphic Design: 3D
- DSGN 350 - Design Production Processes
- DSGN 351 - Print and Finishing Lab
- DSGN 360 - Digital Media Design I
- DSGN 361 - Digital Media Design II
- DSGN 362 - Digital Media Design II
- DSGN 480 - BFA Seminar
- DSGN 481 - BFA Workshop
- DSGN 485 - Professional Practices in Visual Communication Design
- One of the following:
- A/HI 240 - Visual Culture in Western Europe in the 19th Century
- A/HI 241 - Visual Culture in Western Europe and America in the 20th Century
- 10 credits of internship during summer quarter between junior and senior years
- Minimum of 14 credits of declared Minor
These courses are offered within this major and may be used to satisfy GUR or Writing Proficiency Requirements.
- HUM: A/HI 240, 241; DSGN 211
- Art Educator
- Exhibiting Artist
- Exhibit Designer
- Gallery Director
- Production Manager
- Web Designer
- Digital Image Maker