Western Washington University · Bellingham, Washington
History—Elementary Education, BAEd
What is the study of History?
The History-Elementary major is designed for students who plan to become elementary school teachers. In their history courses, History-Elementary majors learn how to locate and access a wide range of sources, to analyze historical evidence, including textual and visual sources, to evaluate historical interpretations, and to develop and support their own interpretations. The quantity of writing and discussion required in history courses also helps students to develop effective communication skills.
This major satisfies the academic major requirement for teacher certification with an endorsement in elementary education and must be accompanied by the professional preparation program in Elementary Education offered through Woodring College of Education.
Why Should I Consider this Major?
If you want to teach in an elementary school and are interested in history, you should consider the History-Elementary major.
How to Declare:
It is recommended that students contact a faculty advisor the department as soon as they wish to declare a major in History-Elementary.
Applying to the Elementary Education Professional Program:
Admission to the Elementary Education Professional Program is required before a student may begin taking courses in the Professional Sequence. Requirements for consideration of an application include:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 credits (most or all GURs complete)
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher overall or for the last 45 credits
- Acceptable WEST-B scores. This test is offered 6 times a year at various sites in the state. Visit the WEST-B website at www.west.nesinc.com for more information.
- Completion of an English composition course with grade of B- or higher
- Completed application
Meeting the above criteria makes the applicant eligible for admission, but does not guarantee admission. For further information, visit Teacher Education Admissions, Miller Hall 214, 360-650-3313 or visit the web site at www.wce.wwu.edu/admiss. See also: Elementary Education Professional Program Guide
- Two courses in United States history
- Two courses in European history
- Two courses from one of the following areas: East and South Asia; or Africa and Middle East; or Western Hemisphere (outside U.S.)
- HIST 391 - History of the Pacific Northwest
- Electives under advisement
These courses are offered within this major and may be used to satisfy GUR or Writing Proficiency Requirements.
- QSR: MATH 381, 382
- HUM: HIST 103, 104, 111, 112, 113, 121, 123, 131, 151, 152, 277, 314 Note: HUM requires coursework from at least 2 departments (exception: HIST 111, 112, 113 completed as a set).
- ACGM: HIST 273, 274, 280, 281, 285, 286, 287, 359, 385, 387
- BCGM: 158, 262, 263, 265, 275, 278, 353, 362
- Elementary Teacher
Major Information and
History Department Chair:
Elementary Education Professional Program Information
Miller Hall 300
Teacher Education Admissions
Elementary Education Professional Program Advisor and Program Manager: