Professor Horne is currently on Professional Leave conducting research and pursuing her academic interests. She will return Fall Quarter 2013. See photos and info here.
- Ph.D., University of Washington
- M.S., Political Economy, Russian Studies, Georgetown University
- B.A., Government, Russian Studies, Dartmouth College
- Post-communist economic and political reforms
- Democratization in post-communist countries
- Interaction of economic and political reforms in historical and cultural contexts
- Transitional justice measures - lustration
- Impact of trade on economic development
- Trade as a tool of foreign policy
- Post-Communist Economies and Western Trade Discrimination: Are NMEs our Enemies? New York: Palgrave-MacMillan, 2006.
- "Assessing the Impact of Lustration on Trust in Public Institutions and National Government in Central and Eastern Europe." Comparative Political Studies, forthcoming Vol. 45, No. 4 (2012).
- "Lustration and trust in public institutions: A retrospective on the state of trust building in Central and Eastern Europe." Sfera Politicii, Vol. 142 (2009): 33-46. Invited piece for special issue on 20th anniversary of the fall of Communism.
- "International Legal Rulings on Lustration Policies in Central and Eastern Europe: Rule of Law in Historical Context," Law & Social Inquiry. Vol. 34, No. 3 (2009): 713-744.
- "Late Lustration Programs in Romania and Poland: Supporting or Undermining Democratic Transitions? Democratization. Vol 16, No. 2 (2009): 344-376.
- "Trust and Transitional Justice." In Lavinia Stan and Nadya Nedelsky (eds.) Encyclopedia of Transitional Justice. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011, forthcoming.
- "Intellectual Property Rights and Transitional Economies: Does IPR Compliance Improve Economic Development?" Patent Protection. ICFAI Law Books Division: ICFAI University, 2009.
- "Distrust as a Trade Impediment: European Trade Policy Toward Non-Market Economies, in Russell Hardin, ed., Distrust. New York: Russell Safe Foundation, 2004 (peer reviewed).
- "Does Lustration Promote Trustworthy Governance? An Exploration of the Experience of Central and Eastern Europe." Co-authored with Margaret Levi, in Susan Rose-Ackerman, Janos Kornai, eds. Honesty and Trust in Transitional Societies. New York: Palgrave-MacMillan Press, 2004 (peer reviewed).