Phone: (360) 650-4873
Office: AH 422
- Ph.D., Political Science, Indiana University
- M.A., East Asian Studies, Indiana University
- B.A., History, Indiana University
- Chinese Politics
- Citizenship and local governance in China
- State building, development, and democratization
- East Asian Politics
Works in Progress
- "The State of the State and the Rise of Chambers of Commerce in China," under revision for Public Administration (Xingzheng guanli) (Zhejiang University Press).
- "Wenzhou," for The Encyclopedia of Modern Chinese History, encyclopedic entry: (Gale
- "The Rise of Private Business Interests," in Zhang Minjie, ed., The Second Revolution in China: Contemporary China in Western Scholars’ Eyes (Beijing shanwu chubanshe,
- "Private Interests and the Public Good: The Rise of Private Business Interests." In Merle Goldman and Roderick MacFarquhar, eds. The Paradoxes of China’s Post-Mao Reforms (Harvard University Press, 1999)
- "Entrepreneurs and Citizenship in China," Problems of Post Communism 46, no. 1
(January/February 1999), pp. 43-61.