Message from the President:
Welcome to my website at Western Washington University. My friends call me Bruce, and I look forward to counting you among my friends at Western. I chose to come to Western as the 13th President because WWU is clearly a very special place. In addition to the faculty, who are excellent teachers and scholars, everyone at Western is eager to help students learn and live well. This is a beautiful campus in an outstanding academic and physical environment.
The best way to experience Western's vibrant learning environment is to visit our state-of-the-art facilities situated in the beautiful foothills of the Cascade Mountains on the Puget Sound. Visit a classroom or research laboratory. Attend a lecture. Cheer at a sporting event. Tour the Outdoor Sculpture Collection. Take a hike in the Arboretum. And talk with the many talented people who make this such an exceptional institution. Then compare WWU to other universities in the nation through a new system of accountability for higher education, College Portraits.org. You'll find that we measure up to your expectations!
Welcome to Western! When you see me on campus, please introduce yourself.
News and Announcements
- President Bruce Shepard presented his annual Opening Convocation address to WWU faculty and staff on Sept. 20, 2012.
- President Bruce Shepard presented his annual Opening Convocation address to WWU faculty and staff on Sept. 16, 2011. During his address, he referenced Selected 2010-2011 Accomplishments.
- President Bruce Shepard gave a keynote address at the 2011 Munro Seminar at Western Washington University on Wednesday, July 13, 2011. Shepard's presentation was titled "From 'A' to 'F': The Challenges Facing Public Higher Education in Washington."
- President Bruce Shepard appeared on "KCTS 9 Connects" on Friday, April 8, 2011, to discuss higher education funding. Shepard appeared with four other presidents of four-year universities in Washington.
- President Bruce Shepard made remarks to the Consular Association of Washington on Tuesday, March 15, 2011. Shepard's presentation was titled "Challenges for Higher Education Funding."
- President Bruce Shepard made remarks to the Higher Education Coordinating Board on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2010. The meeting took place at Gonzaga University. Shepard made his remarks along with the presidents of the other four-year institutions of higher learning in Washington state. Each university was presenting its 2011-13 Intitutional Budget Request.
- President Bruce Shepard presented his annual Opening Convocation address on Sept. 17, 2010. During his address, he referenced Select 2009-2010 Accomplishments & Initiatives for 2010-11.
- President Bruce Shepard and the vice presidents invite all faculty and staff to the 33rd Annual Spring Recognition Ceremony from 3 to 5 p.m. May 4 in the PAC Mainstage Theatre. Refreshments to follow. Parking enforcement will be suspended from 2:30-5:30 p.m. for the event. Advance notice for ADA accommodation is appreciated; for accomodations, please call Mika Greathouse at (360) 650-3771.
- WWU President Bruce Shepard appeared on the TVW show "Inside Olympia" on Thursday, April 1. View the video on Western Today online.
- President Bruce Shepard is seeking nominations for the 2010 Exceptional Effort Awards. Award recipients will be recognized with a special gift at the Spring Recognition Award Ceremony on Tuesday, May 4 and will be invited to join Shepard and his wife, Cyndie, for dinner at their home that evening. Nominations must be submitted online by 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 2.
- Faculty and Staff are invited to attend the annual Holiday Celebration featuring "A Season of Giving," on Tuesday, December 1, from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the
Viking Union MPR - featuring a 50/50 drawing to benefit a WWU Employee Scholarship and a Food Drive and student entertainment.
- An editorial written by Bruce Shepard was published in The Bellingham Herald on Nov. 14. The editorial is titled "Western remains interested in cooperation on waterfront."
- Approximately 200 members of the campus community and members of the public attended the 2009 WWU Veterans Day Celebration on Tuesday, November 10 from 10:30-11:30 in the Viking Union Multi-purpose room. A reception followed the ceremony.
- President Bruce Shepard's address to the fall faculty and staff Opening Convocation is available here.
- President Bruce Shepard's white paper on the publicly purposed university.
- Western welcomes Provost Catherine Riordan and Dean of Fine and Performing Arts Dan Guyette to the community.
- President Shepard conferred Exceptional Effort Awards for excellent service on 27 staff members at the Employee Awards Ceremony on June 2, 2009. Individuals nominated received high praise of colleagues and supervisors.
- President's Statement on the Legislative Budgets, 3/31/09
- Bulletins sent "From the President's Desk" to the campus community by email are posted on the president's web page
- Participate in discussion on the President's Corner of the new Viking Village discussion forum.
- The Bellingham Herald | Shepard named 13th WWU president, 4/26/08
- The Bellingham Herald | New Western president talks about campus, community, 9/13/08
- President Bruce Shepard releases preliminary findings
- Oregonian | WWU board picks Wisconsin chancellor as choice for president
- The Bellingham Herald | Shepard named 13th WWU president