Announcements, remarks and media
News and AnnouncementsKCTS 9, the PBS station in Seattle, focused on the impacts of state budget cuts to public higher education in Washington State. Part of the program included an interview with university presidents at the KCTS 9 Studio on April 8, 2011. Pictured above, from left, are James Gaudino, president of Central Washington University, Elson Floyd, president of Washington State University, Phyllis Wise, interim president of the University of Washington, Bruce Shepard, Western president and KCTS Connects host Enrique Cerna. The program, titled "Higher Ed Emergency," which aired over the weekend, is available online. PHOTO COURTESY OF KCTS 9
- President Bruce Shepard delivered a keynote address at the Munro Institute for Civic Education June 27, 2012, at Western Washington University. Shepard's topic was public higher education challenges for the state of Washington.
- President Bruce Shepard presented his annual Opening Convocation address to WWU faculty and staff on Sept. 16, 2011. During his address, he referenced Selected 2010-2011 Accomplishments.
- President Bruce Shepard gave a keynote address at the 2011 Munro Seminar at Western Washington University on Wednesday, July 13, 2011. Shepard's presentation was titled "From 'A' to 'F': The Challenges Facing Public Higher Education in Washington."
- President Bruce Shepard appeared on "KCTS 9 Connects" on Friday, April 8, 2011, to discuss higher education funding. Shepard appeared with four other presidents of four-year universities in Washington.
- President Bruce Shepard made remarks to the Consular Association of Washington on Tuesday, March 15, 2011. Shepard's presentation was titled "Challenges for Higher Education Funding."
- President Bruce Shepard made remarks to the Higher Education Coordinating Board on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2010. The meeting took place at Gonzaga University. Shepard made his remarks along with the presidents of the other four-year institutions of higher learning in Washington state. Each university was presenting its 2011-13 Intitutional Budget Request.
- President Bruce Shepard presented his annual Opening Convocation address on Sept. 17, 2010. During his address, he referenced Select 2009-2010 Accomplishments & Initiatives for 2010-11.
- President Bruce Shepard and the vice presidents invite all faculty and staff to the 33rd Annual Spring Recognition Ceremony from 3 to 5 p.m. May 4 in the PAC Mainstage Theatre. Refreshments to follow. Parking enforcement will be suspended from 2:30-5:30 p.m. for the event. Advance notice for ADA accommodation is appreciated; for accomodations, please call Mika Greathouse at (360) 650-3771.
- WWU President Bruce Shepard appeared on the TVW show "Inside Olympia" on Thursday, April 1. View the video on Western Today online.
- President Bruce Shepard is seeking nominations for the 2010 Exceptional Effort Awards. Award recipients will be recognized with a special gift at the Spring Recognition Award Ceremony on Tuesday, May 4 and will be invited to join Shepard and his wife, Cyndie, for dinner at their home that evening. Nominations must be submitted online by 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 2.
- Faculty and Staff are invited to attend the annual Holiday Celebration featuring "A Season of Giving," on Tuesday, December 1, from 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the
Viking Union MPR - featuring a 50/50 drawing to benefit a WWU Employee Scholarship and a Food Drive and student entertainment.
- An editorial written by Bruce Shepard was published in The Bellingham Herald on Nov. 14. The editorial is titled "Western remains interested in cooperation on waterfront."
- Approximately 200 members of the campus community and members of the public attended the 2009 WWU Veterans Day Celebration on Tuesday, November 10 from 10:30-11:30 in the Viking Union Multi-purpose room. A reception followed the ceremony.
- President Bruce Shepard's address to the fall faculty and staff Opening Convocation is available here.
- President Bruce Shepard's white paper on the publicly purposed university is available here.
- Western welcomesProvost Catherine Riordan and Dean of Fine and Performing Arts, Dan Guyette to the community.
- President Shepard conferred Exceptional Effort Awards for excellent service on 27 staff members at the Employee Awards Ceremony on June 2, 2009. Individuals nominated received high praise of colleagues and supervisors. For the comments expressed at the ceremony, click here.
- President's Statement on the Legislative Budgets, 3/31/09
- Bulletins sent "From the President's Desk" to the campus community by email are posted on the president's web page
- Participate in discussion on the President's Corner of the new Community Forum on the web.
- The Bellingham Herald | Shepard named 13th WWU president, 4/26/08
- The Bellingham Herald | New Western president talks about campus, community, 9/13/08
- President Bruce Shepard releases preliminary findings
- Oregonian | WWU board picks Wisconsin chancellor as choice for president
- The Bellingham Herald | Shepard named 13th WWU president
- Full address to WWU Faculty and Staff (with active links to referenced documents) -->Or Download the speech (.doc)
- Archive of 2008-2009 speeches and reports
See the photo gallery at FAST online.
Fall Faculty and Staff Convocation, Wednesday, September 17, 2008.
From introductory presentations on Thursday, April 24, 2008.
"Presidential Flashcards" 3:10 minutes .wmv
Introduction to Bruce Shepard (Full Version) 20 minutes .wmv
Introduction to Bruce Shepard (Edited Version) 11 minutes .wmv
An interview with Western President Bruce Shepard from The Chronicle of Higher Education on 10/29/09 is available at the Chronicle's Web site. No extra hardware or software needed.
Podcast of Western President Bruce Shepard's interview on the "PM Bellingham" radio show, KGMI Radio (AM 790) 11/17/08 available on KGMI's podcast center and FAST Online. No extra hardware or software needed.
Introduction to Bruce Shepard, Friday, April 25, 2008