Mission Statement and Strategic Plan
Western Washington University serves the people of the State of Washington, the nation, and the world by bringing together individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives in an inclusive, student-centered university that develops the potential of learners and the well-being of communities.
Western will build a stronger Washington by being an international leader in active learning, critical thinking, and societal problem solving.
- Build upon Western's strengths to address critical needs in the State of Washington.
- Expand student access to rigorous and engaging baccalaureate and graduate education.
- Foster and promote life-long learning and success in an ever-changing world.
- Apply Western's expertise and collaborative approach to scholarship, creativity, and research in ways that strengthen communities beyond the campus.
- Serve as a model for institutional effectiveness, innovation, diversity, and sustainability.
- Exceptional faculty and students engaged in leading edge intellectual inquiry.
- Liberal arts are the core strength of our academic programs.
- High quality academic programs are central to our mission.
- A place to build professional skills and abilities.
- Research, scholarship, and creative endeavor are fundamental to the Western experience.
- An environment that welcomes and embraces diversity.
- Committed to open, passionate, and civil discourse, leading to transparent and well-informed decision-making.
- Responsible stewards of resources.
- Distinguished by a sense of place and community.
- A collaborative environment where faculty, staff, and students contribute to the mission of the University.
- Bringing the world to Washington and Washington to the world.