Olscamp Research & Outstanding Scholarship Awards
Although all WWU faculty members are committed to outstanding research and scholarship, periodically the Western community has the opportunity to recognize some of our exceptional faculty members. The annual Olscamp Research Award and the Outstanding Scholarship Award are examples of the university community’s efforts to recognize and show appreciation to faculty members for their outstanding achievements. Each of the following two awards includes a $1,000 check and your nomination of exceptional faculty members for either of these awards is encouraged.
NOTE: Only faculty members, department chairs and deans may nominate a faculty colleague for one of the research/scholarship awards.
A faculty member from either the College of Humanities and Social Sciences or the College of Sciences and Technology will be chosen to receive the Olscamp Research Award.
A faculty member from one of the other Colleges: Business and Economics, Fairhaven, Fine and Performing Arts, Huxley, Woodring College of Education or the Western Libraries will be chosen to receive the Outstanding Scholarship Award.
Information Necessary to Complete the Nomination Process
Thanks for your interest in nominating a faculty colleague for one of these meaningful awards. During the process to nominate a faculty member for a research/scholarship award, you will be asked to provide the following information on the next screens. (Note: Respondents may move around the nomination form to update responses until the form is completed or they have exited the form. After the nomination form is completed, the respondent will not be able to re-enter the electronic nomination form.)
Information about the Faculty Nominee
- Name of Faculty Nominee
- Nomination Statement/Letter of Recommendation (approx. 1-2 pages in length)
Nominator Information (must be faculty, department chair or dean)
- Your Name
After being nominated, the faculty nominee will be contacted and invited to participate in the award process. If the faculty member wishes to be considered, he/she will be asked to provide supporting materials that are related to research/scholarship for evaluation by the review committee.
Criteria and Procedures for Selection
Criteria and procedures for selection of the Paul J. Olscamp Research and Outstanding Scholarship Awards are:
- Candidates must be associate or full professors who have been employed by WWU for at least two consecutive years.
- Nominations must be made by a faculty colleague at WWU, e.g., another professor, a department chair, or a dean
- The research that prompts the nomination should have been conducted or substantially undertaken, while the person was on the faculty at WWU.
- A faculty member may receive the award only once.
- Only the names of award recipients will be announced. Names of nominees will not be published.
- Nominees will be asked if they wish to be considered and, if so, will be asked to submit supporting materials for review/evaluation.
- Nominees from the previous year may elect to remain under consideration for the subsequent year and resubmit supporting materials.
- In the event that fewer than four nominations are received for an award, the evaluation process for those nominations will be postponed until the subsequent academic year.
- The awards are research/scholarship awards and submitted supporting materials should relate to research/scholarship (not teaching).
Nominations for the Paul J. Olscamp Research and Outstanding Scholarship Awards are solicited from faculty, department chairs and deans and are due by December 7, 2012.
Click to begin electronic nomination process via SurveyMonkey