The University Police offers limited fingerprinting services for the WWU community. We fingerprint those who are accepted into departments that require students to work within the school setting, and for new WWU hires.
Fingerprinting is done by appointment only. Walk-ins are not accepted.
- Call University Police at 650-3579 to schedule an appointment.
- A fee may be required. The fingerprinting fee is $20.00 CASH or CHECK only. This is the fee charged by University Police and is in addition to any fees charged by the Washington State Patrol for the actual criminal history check. We DO NOT accept credit card payment for the fee. You will receive a receipt and in some instances will need to provide this to whoever is requiring the prints. Please do not lose the receipt.
- You must bring valid picture identification with you (driver's license or passport). Your Western Washington University photo ID (Western Card) is not acceptable.
- Make sure you read ALL instructions thoroughly before coming to your appointment.
- Please, bring with you all paperwork required by the department or school district that is requesting the fingerprint check.
The fingerprinting is done with a LiveScan system where the prints are captured by a scanner and is transmitted electronically to state and federal agencies.
In some situations the prints will instead be mailed to the appropriate agency for processing. In such situations you should arrive at the appointment with all paperwork ready to be mailed by University Police including:
- A stamped envelope large enough to hold all printed material, with sufficient postage attached.
- The Washington State Patrol's address (located in your instructions) must be printed on the envelope. Your return address must appear on the envelope as well.
- If you are paying the fees then you must have a money order, cashier check or business check with you. The State Patrol does not accept cash or personal checks.
- It is understood that you will not be notified by the state or FBI unless there is a problem with cards or the background.
WWUPD does not fingerprint for Concealed Weapons Permits. These are handled through your local Law Enforcement jurisdiction (County Sheriff's department or city Police department).
Other local agencies that offer fingerprinting services are:
Bellingham Police Department- No Appointment, Walk in only
505 Grand Ave Bellingham, WA 98225
- Tuesday's from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- Thursday's from 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
- No services available on any holiday, or special police circumstances
- $10 for one or two cards; $3 for each additional (prices are per person)
- Payment accepted in the form of cash, local check, and Visa/MasterCard
Whatcom County Sheriff's Office- Must Have Appointment
311 Grand Ave Bellingham, WA 98225
- Tuesday 9:00am to 11.30am only
- Thursday 1:00pm to 3:00pm only