ADCAS Services for Required Referrals
What is ADCAS?
- Confidential service for Western students that provides assessment, individualized feedback, education, and consultation with a professional regarding alcohol and other drug use.
- Evidence-based program that reduces underage and high-risk drinking by assisting students in making more responsible personal choices.
- Part of the fulfillment of sanctions required by the University and/or the Bellingham Municipal Court for students who have violated alcohol and other drug policies and/or state laws.
How does the ADCAS process work?
Step 1 | First Contact
- Call 360.650.6865 to schedule the Group I Session.
- The Prevention/Intervention Fee will automatically be billed to your student account following your attendance at first session. Please note: Students pay the fee only when they receive required referrals (e.g. referrals from Resident Directors, the University Judicial Officer, or Bellingham Municipal Court).
Step 2 | Session 1
- 50-minute session facilitated by trained Peer Health Educators.
- Content: Confidentiality of ADCAS services, alcohol and the body, alcohol myths and misperceptions, alcohol content of a "standard drink," alcohol content of most popular drinks, and serving sizes.
Step 3 | Online Assessment
- 20 to 30-minute online assessment.
- Provides an individualized feeback profile.
- Online instructions to schedule next step.
Step 4 | Session 2
- 90-minute group session with Peer Health Educators and/or an individual session with professional staff depending on reason for referral.
- Content: Behavioral effects of substance use, expectancies and reality, tolerance, drug and alcohol interactions, decision-making, risk-reduction stragegies, and the change process.
Step 5 | Follow-Up
- Computerized follow-up questionnaire automatically sent 30 days after completion of ADCAS.
- To assist students in fulfilling their required sanctions, ADCAS staff will inform the referral source that the student either did or did not complete their ADCAS requirements.