FAQs for Fall Commencement
December 16, 2017 in the Carver Academic Facility
How do I get extra tickets?
Each student will receive 4 tickets. These tickets are used for seating in the Carver Academic Facility. We have a set number of seats in our venue and ticket numbers are based on this capacity limitation.
In the event of extra tickets, we do not sell tickets for commencement. Rather, we will distribute an additional (1 ticket) per graduate at Graduation Celebration (December 14| 12pm-3pm | VU 565) and at the ticket booth, an hour and a half before the ceremony on a first come, first served basis. Please remember comfortable, air conditioned seating is also available in the SMATE building - just footsteps away from Carver - where commencement will be viewed on large screens via a live feed and does not require a ticket.
How do I sign up for the commencement ceremony?
When and where is the apparel distribution?
Graduation Celebration, Thursday, December 14th
Bachelor's & Master’s candidates at Graduation Celebration:
- Apparel: 12:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Location: Viking Union 565
Commencement Day, Saturday, December 16th:
- Apparel: 8:30 am – 10:00 am, Alumni Tent in SMATE Building.
What time is Commencement?
- The ceremony begins at 10:00 am
- Lobby doors open for guests at 9:00 am
- Line-up for Baccalaureate in SMATE at 9:15am
- Master's candidates in Carver Hallway via North Entrance: at 9:15 am
- Line-up for Faculty Carver Hallway via North Entrance: at 9:15 am
- Guests please be seated in the Carver Academic Facility 20 minutes before the start of each ceremony.
- Procession begins at 9:45. The lobby doors are closed to guests during the procession. Guests need to be seated at this time. The doors will reopen to guests once the procession has completed.
Where do I go on graduation day?
- Baccalaureate candidates report to SMATE.
- Masters candidates report to Carver Hallway 100 via the North Carver Entrance (doors closest to Bond Hall).
- Faculty report to Carver Hallway 100 via the North Carver Entrance (doors closest to Bond Hall).
- Families/Attendees go to the Carver Academic Facility and SMATE 150 (additional viewing) Doors open an hour before ceremony.
How long will the ceremony last?
Approximately 1½ hours
Can I bring balloons and signs into the ceremony for my graduate?
Signs are a great way to show support for your graduate. However, we do ask that signs not be too large. A sign should not prohibit the view of other guests and should be comfortable to hold and set in front of you in the bleachers during the ceremony.
WWU has decided balloons will not be allowed in the gymnasium of Carver Academic Facility due to the new fire alarm system. Please leave balloons in the car and feel free to bring other gifts for graduates. There will be flower and lei sales on site.
What alternative accommodations are included for guests?
ADA parking is available in lot 17G & 11G.
Arrangements have been made and you do not need to contact us if your guest:
- is unable to climb stairs
- is in a wheelchair
- needs sign language interpretation
If you have questions about accommodations for guests, please contact commencement staff by email or in the Registrar's Office, 360-650-3701. (Washington State TDD Relay Service, 800-833-6388)
We do ask that all people seating in accommodation seating have one guest accompanying him/her.
Is there a commencement rehearsal for graduates?
Where is the Lost & Found?
Please check with the University Police (360-650-3555) or with the Viking Union Lost & Found Office (360-650-3120). Please note that the Viking Union Lost & Found is closed during breaks. You may call at the beginning of the quarter. Most lost valuable items will go directly to the University Police after the ceremony.
Where can I watch the ceremony on television?
- On campus, SMATE building.
- Off campus, visit our live-streaming site online.
Where can I order graduation announcements and/or rings?
To order announcements these items, please visit the WWU Alumni Association.
Will there be a shuttle? If so, where does it pickup?
Shuttle bus service will be available from 8:00am - 12:30p from the 12A parking lot off South College Drive to the Carver Academic Facility. There will be one ADA equipped shuttle that will accommodate two wheelchairs per route. Guests in wheelchairs may take this shuttle or they may park in designated lots 17G & 11G. Parking attendants will be available to assist guests with special parking needs.
Is special handicapped parking available and, if so, where?
Yes, in lots 17G and 11G
What services on Campus will be open?
Miller Market | 8 AM - 12:30 PM
Bookstore | TBD
When will I receive my actual diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed 6-8 weeks after the commencement ceremony.