Degree Works FAQs - Faculty & Advisors

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web based tool designed to help students and advisors track students’ academic progress toward the completion of their degree or certificate. Degree Works helps to track degree progress, prepare for future courses, and plan for graduation.

How do I access Degree Works?

Degree Works is in test and not yet open to the wide campus community. If you are a faculty or staff member and would like to request access, please email your request to

What is a "worksheet"?

The worksheet is a review of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements. It can be used as a tool to plan and track progress toward the degree or certificate. The worksheet is also known as “Degree Evaluation” or “audit”.

How current is the information in Degree Works for students?

Student data in Degree Works is refreshed each night automatically for all students. Any changes made today (e.g. adding/dropping a course or grade mode changes) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. Advisors have the ability to refresh an individual student’s data if this information is required before the nightly refresh.

Can I save or print my students’ Degree Works worksheet?

Yes. We suggest you use the Save as PDF button to save or print a PDF version of the Degree Works worksheet. We do not recommend using the standard browser printing mechanism (File>Print) due to the layout of worksheets and difference in the output due to the variety of printers and browsers.

When printing, please be aware of FERPA requirements and regulations to safeguard student data.

How do I find students in Degree Works?

If you know the W# (student ID number) of the student, you can enter in the W# and press ENTER.

If you wish to search by major, college, program, or other parameters, click the FIND icon, and use the resulting search page.

Under the ‘Plans’ tab, there are no templates available for the degree the student is seeking. Are there plan templates available for all degrees?

At this time, templates are only available for graduate programs.

How should I interpret the "additionally you need minimum of XX Credits …" on a student's degree audit?

This should be read as "X of these credits must be from …".

Example: A student still needing to fulfill the Major Ensemble Requirement for the Music - Performance Concentration would see the following on their audit report:

Still Needed: (24 Credits in MUS 271 or 272 or 273 or 278 or 471 or 472 or 473 or 476 additionally you need a minimum of 6 Credits from MUS 271 or 272 or 273 or 471 or 472 or 473 additionally you need a minimum of 18 Credits from MUS 276 or 476)

This should be read as:

Still need: (24 Credits in MUS 271 or 272 or 273 or 278 or 471 or 472 or 473 or 476, 6 of these credits must be from MUS 271 or 272 or 273 or 471 or 472 or 473 and 18 Credits must be from MUS 276 or 476.)

What is the GPA Calc - Graduation Calculator?

The Graduation Calculator is designed to help students plan ahead to achieve their desired GPA upon graduation. The Graduation Calculator requires the user to enter three numbers: Credits Remaining, Credits Required, and Desired GPA.

Credits Remaining are the number of unfulfilled credits required for the student to complete in order for the student to attain their degree. Credits Required are the total amount of credits required for the degree in which the student is seeking. Desired GPA is the cumulative GPA that is sought by the student at the completion of their degree.

Example: Vicki Viking is has completed 120 credits towards her BA in Economics which requires a minimum of 180 credits to graduate. Jane's current cumulative GPA through 120 credit hours is 3.10. Vicki would like to graduate with at least a 3.20 cumulative GPA.

Vicki enters 60 for Credits Remaining, 180 for Credits Required, and 3.2 for Desired GPA. Vicki is provided the following advice to guide her remaining 60 credits.

What is the GPA Calc - Term Calculator?

The Term Calculator is used to show how potential grades in a student's current courses will affect their cumulative GPA.

Degree Works automatically displays the student's current courses and associated credit hours. Courses taken as Pass/Fail and/or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory should be removed from the student's Term Calculator as these courses do not contribute to the student's cumulative GPA.

What does the @ symbol mean when it appears on the worksheet?

The @ symbol is known as a wildcard in Degree Works. If you see @ with course numbers after it (e.g. @ 300:399) this means that you may take any subject area within the number range – in this case, any 300 level course from any subject area. If @ appears after a subject area (e.g. ECON @), this means that you may take any course within the subject area – in this case, any Economics course. If you see @ @ (double) followed by a GUR attribute (e.g. @@ with attribute HUM) it means any subject and/or number with the attribute is needed to fulfill this requirement – in this case any course or subject that fulfills the Humanities (HUM) requirement.

What does the ~ symbol mean when it appears on the worksheet?

The ~ symbol means that a requirement is partially complete. The ~ symbol may appear on a set of requirements using currently in-progress courses to show completion. The double ≈ symbol indicates that additional requirements are needed and you are advised to speak with your advisor.

A student has courses marked as “Insufficient” even though they achieved a sufficient grade in the course.

Courses with sufficient grades that are in the Insufficient Block are courses that have been repeated. The repeat indicators on the courses determine which courses are applied to the requirements and which appear in insufficient.

The Minimum Major Credits Required box is showing as not completed even though the student’s Electives appear to be met.

Unfortunately, although the electives appear as met, the Minimum Major Credits Required requirement will not show as met until all requirements are complete, including any additional elective credits that are needed.

What is a “What-if”?

The “What-if” feature allows students to see how their completed and in-progress courses would apply toward the completion of a different major, minor, concentration or program. The What-if worksheet shows the student the requirements, how completed or in-progress courses would specifically apply, and what requirements or courses would still be needed to complete the new program of study.

What is the “Look Ahead” feature?

The “Look Ahead” feature allows students and advisors to see what their audit would look like if they were registered for selected courses in future terms. Through the “Look Ahead” feature, students can see how courses fit into their plan of study prior to registration. Once courses are added with the Look Ahead feature, they will appear on the student’s audit under “Planned Term”.

If I have additional Degree Works questions, who should I contact?

You can find additional training and support resources for Degree Works on the Registrar’s Office website.

For general feedback and questions, you can contact the Degree Works team at

If you would like to request a Degree Works training session for yourself or your department, contact Dennis Miller at or (360) 650-2984.