Veterans Services: Survivorsí and Dependentsí Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)
Contacts-Phone: 360-650-3324 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Educational assistance paid to dependents of veterans. Starting October 1, 2009, the full-time monthly rate is $987.00. Persons who may be eligible are:
- A child (between the ages of 18 and 26, with some exceptions) of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
- The surviving spouse of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability, or died in service, or died while evaluated as having total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability. Surviving spouses whose benefits stopped when they remarried can receive DEA benefits again if their remarriage ends by death or divorce, or they cease to live with the person to whom they presented themselves in public as married.
- A spouse of a veteran or serviceperson who has a total or permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
- The spouse or child of a service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.
- In addition to the federal monthly housing allowance your student receives under Chapter 35, they may also be entitled to a Washington State Tuition and Fee Waiver for up to 200 credits.
- If your student has received Federal VA Benefits at another institution it will be necessary for them to provide a Change of Program and Chapter 35 Application Supplement indicating the number of credits waived at the prior institution.
For more information, please click the links below:
- Basic Chapter 35 Information
- Informational Pamphlet
- Payment Rates
- Apply for Benefits
- Veterans Parents Overview
- Veteran Monthly Payment Calendar
Page Updated 03.08.2013