Support for Journal Editing
Funds are available to support faculty members who take on editorial responsibilities for professional journal. As initial support for faculty members taking on journal editing functions, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programswill provide a maximum of $2,000 per year for the first two years. A maximum of $1,000 is available for the third year. The funding may be used to obtain partial course release, student assistance or clerical help.
The following editorial functions are eligible for support:
- Journal Editor
- Co-editor with major editorial functions
- Book Review Section Editor with major editorial functions
The support is subject to the following restrictions:
- The editorial function must be a new undertaking for Western and the faculty member. Journals which are currently being edited or produced at Western are not eligible.
- The journal must be published, or will be published in at least two issues per year, and must be sponsored by a major scholarly association in the field.
- Payments to the publisher or the printer of the journal are not supported.
Use the Small Grant Form to request Support for Journal Editing and include the following information: description of the publication, the sponsoring professional organization, approximate size of membership, the support provided by the institution of the preceding editor, and a description of your editorial responsibilities. Indicate the duration of support requested, and commitments provided by your department and college. A memorandum from the Department Chair or the Dean indicating support for this activity must accompany the request.