Summer Research Grant FAQ
How many people tend to apply each year? How many awards are granted?
- The pool of applications varies from year to year, averaging about fifty applications for 10 grants.
- How frequently may an applicant apply for this award? How frequently can an applicant receive this award?
- Applicants may apply every year unless they have received the award in the previous year. Applicants can receive an award every other year. Because the committee values giving opportunities to faculty across campus, preference will be given to quality applications of faculty who have not won the award in the previous two-year period.
- May I apply for both a Summer Teaching Grant and a Summer Research Grant at the same time?
- You may apply to both programs, if offered both awards you may only accept one.
- If I held a Summer Teaching Grant last summer may I apply for a Summer Research Award this year?
- Yes you may.
- What topics should the grant proposal address?
- The “Evaluation of Proposals” section includes the core questions that drive the committee’s selection process. A successful grant proposal will have convincing answers to as many of those questions as possible and appropriate.
- What roles do the evaluations of the chair or dean play in helping the committee reach a decision?
- The chair and dean evaluations give the committee context to better understand the outcomes of the proposed scholarly activity on the applicant’s professional development and the mission of the department and/or college.
- If awarded a Summer Research Grant, may I use the award to pay for travel and materials?
- The grant is paid as summer salary only as it is intended to free faculty time for the work proposed in the grant application.
- May I teach during the summer if I have also received a Summer Research Grant?
- Yes, as long as all summer appointments combined do not exceed 100% effort.
- What is the source of the research grant funding?
- The funding for Summer Research Grants comes from a WWU account funded with base (or continuing) money. During previous university cutbacks, the account was reduced in size. Currently, there are funds to support 10 Summer Research Grants. These grants are NOT funded from “indirect dollars” received from externally funded research/scholarly projects.
What if I have more questions?
- Please call Tracey Finch at x6578 or email: email@example.com