Scientific Technical Services: Mission
News & Events
SEM Digital Image Competition entries on display in Carver Gym May 16 &17 10 am-2 pm
The mission of Scientific Technical Services (SciTech) is to provide high quality technical support to faculty, staff, and students for a wide variety of teaching and scholarship activities involving instrumentation, and the design, manufacture, and repair of equipment not only in the academic division, but in all other divisions at Western Washington University. SciTech not only supports campus faculty, staff, and students using instrumentation, but also other local educational institutions as appropriate.
SciTech operates the University Instrument Center, a multi-user facility equipped with analytical instrumentation. SciTech also operates machine, electronics, and woodworking shops for the design, manufacture and repair of academic, scientific, and supporting equipment. Web-based technologies are used to increase access to scientific instrumentation and supporting instructional materials for the classroom, laboratory, and research environments.
- To train faculty, staff, and students in the use of instrumentation
- To act as consultants to campus departments to design, modify, or fabricate equipment
- To assist with classroom and laboratory demonstrations
- To maintain and repair existing instrumentation and equipment
- To provide access to scientific instrumentation and to engage in scientific activities at all levels of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education and curriculum
Projects undertaken by SciTech staff are based on the following priorities:
- Safety related projects
- Classroom/Laboratory related projects
- Faculty/Student Research projects
How to Request SciTech Services
SciTech Services can be requested through: