Empowering YOU to achieve academic and personal success

Foster Youth

Are you currently in or have you formerly been in foster care? Western Washington University, in conjuction with the College Success Foundation, the Orphan Foundation of America, the Washington Higher Education Board, and the Washington State Department of Social & Health Services provide programming and financial assistance to facilitate your college experience! There's help available for college including paying tuition, housing expenses, buyings books, etc.!

Student Outreach Services and Foster Youth

While attending Western Washington University, foster youth have the opportunity to take advantage of specialized academic advising, specific programming, and finanical aid assistance. Through the help of an Academic Support Coordinator, foster youth are able to be successful in college.

For Washington State residents:

If you have not heard or received information about these programs, please contact Shalini Singh in Student Outreach Services, Old Main 387 for additional assistance.

  • Education and Training Voucher Program (ETV) - If you are a current or former foster youth or were adopted from care after age 16, you could be eligible for up to $5000 a year up to age 23 for education or training at an accredited college.
  • Governor's Scholarship for Foster Youth - Scholarships are available in amounts of $2,000 - $4,000 a year for eligible youth. Contact the College Success Foundation at 1-877-655-4907. Deadline for application: the first Monday in March of your senior year in high school.
  • Passport to College - The Passport to College program provides scholarships and support services to Washington residents attending eligible Washington colleges.

Nationwide Support Programs:

For additional support and financial assistance, the following resources are available to you.

  • Orphan Foundation of America (OFA/Casey Family Scholarships) - Provides scholarships of up to $10,000 to young people, under the age of 25, who have spent at least 12 months in foster care and were not subsequently adopted.
  • National Foster Parent Association Scholarship - For foster youth who want to complete their GED or further their education beyond high school. For more information or to apply, visit www.nfpaonline.org or call 1-800-557-5238.
  • Filing FAFSA - Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov or call 1-800-4-FED-AID and make sure you watch for deadlines!

Contact: Gracielle Yan

Page Updated 02.03.2016