Travel the world this summer with Western
Western is offering more opportunities than ever this year to travel the world with Western faculty while earning WWU credit.
With 15 different trips to five continents courses will explore topics such as religion and post-colonial literature in Senegal, sustainability in Greece, conservation in Costa Rica and ecotourism in Peru.
WWU students studied in India in 2009
"We have faculty who have studied and researched abroad and are really excited about the things they've been working on and want to share that with students," says Marlene Harlan, director of summer programs and marketing.
For example, Christina Keppie, assistant professor of French and Linguistics, is leading an exploration of French Acadian language and culture in her native New Brunswick. And English Professor Christopher Wise, who taught at a university in Burkina Faso on a Fulbright Scholarship in 1996, is leading a trip to another West African country, Senegal.
Here's a full list of international course offerings this summer:
- Kenya: "Field Studies and Collaborative International Service-Learning."
- Senegal: "Religion and Post-Colonial Literature."
- New Brunswick, Canada: "Immerse Yourself in Acadian French Culture."
- Study Canada Summer Institute for K-12 Educators: "A Capital View of Canada: Nations within a Nation."
- Beijing and Kunming, China: "Immerse yourself in Chinese Language and Cultural Studies."
- Costa Rica: "Rainforest Immersion and Conservation Action."
- Athens, Greece: "Myth and History."
- Ithaca, Greece: "Sustainable Ithaca: Applied Studies in Mediterranean Sustainable Development."
- India: "Explore International Business in India."
- Florence, Siena, Sant'Anna, Venice and Padua, Italy: "Art Workshop in Italy."
- Siena, Italy: "Tuscan Summer of Language and Culture."
- Queretaro, Mexico: "Immerse Yourself in the Field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages."
- New Orleans: "Exploring Great Cities: The Nature, Culture and the City."
- Peru: "The Potential and Pitfalls of Tourism in Peru: Ecotoursim as a Cultural Survival and Conservation Strategy."
- Switzerland and Italy: "Study Food this Summer in Europe."