Student Business Office answers money questions
Western's Student Business Office in Old Main is
the university's new home of Student Accounts,
the University Cashier, Loans and Collections and
other financial services. Photo by Maddy Mixter |
University Communications intern
By Stephanie Lonzak
WWU University Communications Intern
Western’s Student Business Office now brings together several services in one place where students can have most of their financial questions answered.
Located in Old Main 110, across the rose garden from the Humanities Building, the Student Business Office is responsible for almost all the financial business that takes place through Western. It’s where students can pay tuition and address other charges on their student accounts, view a monthly statement online and receive advice regarding payments, late fees, refunds and other financial dealings. Students can also find debt counseling at the Student Business Office.
The SBO’s website, www.wwu.edu/sbo, is also a one-stop resource for paying bills, completing important forms and more.
Here are some important things to keep in mind about the Student Business Office and financial matters at Western:
See a presentation about the Student Business Office
- The Student Business Office maintains all student accounts, which include transactions such as tuition, meal plan charges, on-campus housing, and other university-related charges. Additional financial matters found on student accounts are refunds, financial aid information and scholarship payments.
- Students do not receive paper invoices, bills or monthly statements; transactions are posted to their student account online. Students may grant parents or others access to their accounts online to view activity or make payments. Learn more about this at the SBO’s website, www.wwu.edu/sbo.
- Tuition charges are due the first day of each quarter. Payments should be made online but can be made by mail or in person at the Student Business Office.
- The Student Business Office will assess late fees on the third Friday of each quarter and the third Friday of each month thereafter.
- Any funds remaining in the student account – after tuition and other expenses have been paid – are refunded via direct deposit into students’ personal bank accounts. Learn more about this at www.wwu.edu/sbo/refunds.shtml.
- The Student Business Office offers debt counseling, including basic information on student loan repayment, alternative loans, debt management and exit counseling. They also can set up debt advising appointments to help students get started in the right direction.