Plan now to travel the world with Western this summer
WWU students studied in India in 2009
Students and others can study rainforest conservation in Costa Rica, art in Japan or business development in India this summer with one of several travel courses planned this year.
Western Washington University is offering at least 11 travel courses led by WWU faculty this summer, giving students and community members a chance to earn college credit while becoming immersed in the culture, language or environment they’re studying.
“These educational programs provide opportunities for students to study specific topics of interest while exploring the culture of the region. Students earn WWU credit and travel with WWU faculty and other WWU students” said Marlene Harlan, Director of Marketing and Summer Programs.
Now’s the time to prepare for international courses this summer or fall – and some courses have prerequisites or preparatory courses that must be fulfilled before traveling.
Here are some of the international courses available:
- Classical Studies in Athens, Greece: A 12-credit course in Classical Studies will send students to Athens in September. Students also take one of two four-credit Greek language courses. Click here to learn more.
- Rainforest Conservation in Costa Rica: Students will get hands-on experience with ecological conservation in Huxley College of the Environment’s Rainforest Immersion and Conservation Action program, which includes field research, community service and ecotourism excursions during June and July.
- International Business in India: Students will travel to India in August for a six-credit course exploring the country’s history and culture as well as its economic development.
- Culture and Language in Siena, Italy: Students can learn beginning Italian and explore art history in Siena and the Tuscan region in July.
- Art or Art History in Japan: Students will travel to Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto and Fukui in June and July to study art, architecture and culture.
- Service Learning in Kenya: Students will travel to Kenya in July and August to learn about culture and politics while contributing to meaningful service projects. A preparatory course is required this spring. Application deadline is March 1.
- City Planning and Geography in San Francisco: Students will travel to San Francisco in July to learn about urban planning and geography as seen through the city’s many neighborhoods.
- Sustainable Agriculture in Switzerland and Italy: Students will get an intensive look at biodynamic agriculture, food culture and gastronomic sciences in August, linking old and new traditions in the ways we grow and produce food.
- Study Canada Summer Institute: The annual summer program for K-12 teachers will provide lots of ideas on bringing Canada to life in the classroom. They’ll spend six days in June in Vancouver and Whistler, B.C.
And plan now for this fall:
America and Vietnam: The application deadline is March 10 for the fall course on Vietnam and the trip to the country over winter break. The trip includes a service learning project in Ho Chi Minh City. Only WWU students are allowed to enroll in this course.