Marine Chemistry Facilities Schedule
RM 142, Sundquist Marine Laboratory
Shannon Point Marine Center
(360) 650-7400 Ext: 226 or
(360) 293-2188 Ext: 226
Scheduling Workshops and Facility Use
Workshops and chemistry facility use for courses or independent research may be scheduled by contacting Dr. Kathy Van Alstyne by email or by phone at (360) 740-6500 x-226. Please contact us at least a week before you will need to use specific facilities so that we can arrange to have staff scheduled to assist you and make sure that the instruments and materials that you need are available. Students planning to use the Marine Chemistry Facilities at SPMC in support of their thesis work or independent research projects should also contact Dr. Van Alstyne, ideally while developing their thesis or project proposals.
The SPMC Laboratory Safety and WWU Hazardous Waste Training courses may be completed at anytime. To take the SPMC Laboratory Safety course, login to WWU's Blackboard, click on the Courses tab, and search for Marine Chemistry. Enroll in the SPMC Marine Chemistry course and follow the instructions for the course.
- Basic Laboratory Skills (no workshops currently scheduled)
- Using the YSI 85 Meter to Measure Temperature, Salinity, Conductivity, and Dissolved Oxygen in Seawater (no workshops currently scheduled)
- Measuring Seawater Nitrate and Nitrite Concentrations: April 17th, 2013 and July 10th, 2013 -- all workshops will be held at 1 p.m.
- Measuring Chlorophyll a and Phaeopigments in Phytoplankton (no workshops currently scheduled)
- Using the CE Elantech E1112 Elemental Analyzer to Measure Tissue Carbon and Nitrogen (no workshops currently scheduled)
- Next hazardous waste pickup: