The Shannon Point Marine Center has several meeting space options available on a space-available basis. Our first priority is to the accommodate classes offered thru the Western Washington University for undergraduate and graduate students. When not occupied, the various locations identified below may be requested for general use (fees may apply) by completing a Meeting Space Application. Once the form is received, we will review the application to determine if we are able to accommodate the request.
Helpful Hints to consider before completing a meeting space application:
- Meeting Space is available during our business hours, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM.
- Non-Western Washington University (WWU) groups requesting use of Shannon Point Marine Center (SPMC) facilities are required to provide proof of Liability Insurance. If a group lacks its own insurance, please review the Tenant User Liability Insurance Program (TULIP) as indicated below:
- Food service is unavailable at SPMC; therefore meals and/or beverage service must be arranged with catering service of your choosing. Coordination of catering services, such as setting up, cleaning up, and payment arrangements will be the responsibility of the group requesting use of space. Please be certain to make the necessary arrangements for the catering service to pick up their equipment during our business hours.
- A banquet permit must be obtained for any group wishing to serve alcoholic beverages on WWU property. Please let us know if your event requires a banquet permit.
- The meeting space is typically arranged to accommodate lecture style seating. The tables and chairs may be re-arranged to a conference room style or board room (large “U” shaped table) style. Please contact us to inquire about specific arrangements.
- Please allow time during your event for a short (15-minute) Welcome and Orientation message from the Director of Shannon Point Marine Center.
- Meeting will be confined to the space assigned by SPMC.
- Please be aware that classes may be in session thereby restricting our ability to approve requests for use of SPMC facilities.
TULIP - Tenant User Liability Insurance Program
This insurance program was arranged by the University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA) for higher education institutions like Western. This special event liability insurance is purchased by an outside group when the group lacks its own insurance for its rental or use Western-owned facilities (indoor or outdoor) for a specific event or activity. The coverage protects both the outside group and University from liability claims or lawsuits that may arise out of such use.
Academic Programs Building:
Flora Marine Science Education Building:
Conference Room: seats approximately 10 people.
Stephen D. Sulkin Commons: seats approximately 50 people.