Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee supports the acquisition of technology to enrich students' academic experience.
Student Technology Fee 2014-2018 Overview
The current Student Technology Fee is $35 (full-time students) or $17 (part-time students). Funding is dedicated to the following purposes:
- $14.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.00 for the Microsoft Student Advantage (a licensing/software package)
- $4.00 for the Student Technology Center
- $4.00 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $3.00 for Tech Inititatives (previously the STF proposals)
- $2.00 for virtual computer labs and U: drive upgrades
- $2.00 for a print quota with 50 prints per quarter
How did the current fee come about?
During fall quarter 2012, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring 2013. The referendum had the following results:
- The referendum passed with a 78% majority.
- The new (current) Student Technology Fee became $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits.
- The fee is effective for five years, and then will be subject to renewal.
Tech Initiatives Proposals, AY 2015
$3 of the $35 Student Tech Fee is for the Tech Inititatives projects, which are determined through a proposal process. This represents approximately $125,000 in projects for the current academic year. The process includes two phases: initial abstracts and full proposals.