Student Technology Fee
Computer labs are funded largeley by the Student Technology Fee.
The Student Technology Fee supports the acquisition of technology to enrich students' academic experience.
Student Technology Fee 2019-2022 Overview
The current Student Technology Fee is $35 (full-time students) or $17 (part-time students). Funding is dedicated to the following purposes:
- $15.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.75 for the Student Technology Center
- $5.15 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $4.35 for STF proposals (now called Tech initiatives)
- $2.00 for the Digital Media Center (DMC)
- $1.75 for a print quota (with 50 prints per quarter)
How did the current fee come about?
During fall quarter 2017, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring 2018. The referendum had the following results:
- The referendum passed.
- The Student Technology Fee remained at $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits. The previous fee for 2014-28 academic years was also $35 per quarter, but with a different funding allocation.
- The current fee is effective for four years, and then will be subject to renewal.
Tech Initiatives Proposals, AY 2019
$4.35 of the $35 Student Tech Fee is for the Tech Inititatives projects, which are determined through a proposal process. This represents approximately $186,000 in projects for the current academic year. The process includes two phases: initial abstracts and full proposals. This is approximately $60,000 more than in recent academic years.