Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee
the acquisition of technology
to enrich students' academic experience.
Please see these links covering the Student Technology Fee (STF):
For Step Two of Proposal Process: (February-March 2014)
- 2014 STF Tech Initiatives Proposal Form - NEW!
- 2014 Tech Initiatives Summary Sheet
- STF Proposal Guidelines (reference document, rev 02-21-14)
For Step One of Proposal Process: (through January 2014)
STF Increase Effective Academic Year 2013-14; Broadens Range of Technology
During fall quarter 2012, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee (STF) recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring of 2013.
The task force recommended increasing the fee to $35.00 per quarter with the funding dedicated to the following purposes:
- $14.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.00 for the Microsoft Student Advantage (a licensing/software package)
- $4.00 for the Student Technology Center
- $4.00 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $3.00 for the Student Technology Fee proposal fund
- $2.00 for virtual computer labs and U: drive upgrades
- $2.00 for a print quota with 50 prints
Consistent with this recommendation, the AS Board of Directors presented a referendum to the students in spring 2013, with the following results:
- The referendum passed with a 78% majority.
- The new Student Technology Fee is $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits.
- The fee will be effective for five years, and then will be subject to renewal.
The Student Technology Fee provides Western students with adequate and innovative technology experiences by:
- Broadening/enhancing the quality of the academic experience
- Providing additional student access to technology
- Increasing integration of technology into the curriculum.
(in progress - Sep 2013)
- Fall 1995 -
Student Technology Fee (STF) implemented by the Associated Students (AS), Western Washington University, and the Western Foundation. The AS Board established a fee imposed on all full-time, on-campus students.
- May 15, 2002 -
AS Board resolution: Continue STF with a $5 increase, contingent on continued funding support from WWU administration and Western Foundation
- May 6, 2004 -
AS Board resolution: Extend STF of $15 per quarter for one year (fall quarter 2004 through spring quarter 2005)
- Spring 2009 -
A fee increase to $25 per quarter was voted on and approved.
- Student Technology Fee Operational Guidelines 2013-2018 (draft 12-18-13)