Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee
the acquisition of technology
to enrich students' academic experience.
Please see these links covering the Student Technology Fee (STF):
Student Technology Fee 2014-2018 Overview
The current Student Technology Fee is $35 (full-time students) or $17 (part-time students). Funding is dedicated to the following purposes:
- $14.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.00 for the Microsoft Student Advantage (a licensing/software package)
- $4.00 for the Student Technology Center
- $4.00 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $3.00 for Tech Inititatives (previously the STF proposals)
- $2.00 for virtual computer labs and U: drive upgrades
- $2.00 for a print quota with 50 prints per quarter
How did the current fee come about? During fall quarter 2012, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring 2013. The referendum had the following results:
- The referendum passed with a 78% majority.
- The new (current) Student Technology Fee became $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits.
- The fee is effective for five years, and then will be subject to renewal.
Tech Initiatives Proposals, AY 2015
$3 of the $35 Student Tech Fee is for the Tech Inititatives projects, which are determined through a proposal process. This represents approximately $125,000 in projects for the current academic year.
- Tech Initiatives Timeline
See timeline on this website. Choose "STF Tech Initiatives" on sidebar, then item I, "Tech Initiatives Timeline."
- Tech Initiatives Forms
The process includes two phases: initial abstracts and full proposals. See links to all forms on this website. Choose "STF Tech Initiatives" on sidebar, then item II, "Tech Initiatives Instructions and Forms."
The Student Technology Fee provides Western students with adequate and innovative technology experiences by:
- Broadening/enhancing the quality of the academic experience
- Providing additional student access to technology
- Increasing integration of technology into the curriculum.
- Fall 1995
Student Technology Fee (STF) implemented by the Associated Students (AS), Western Washington University, and the Western Foundation. The AS Board established a fee imposed on all full-time, on-campus students.
- May 15, 2002
AS Board resolution: Continue STF with a $5 increase, contingent on continued funding support from WWU administration and Western Foundation
- May 6, 2004
AS Board resolution: Extend STF of $15 per quarter for one year (fall quarter 2004 through spring quarter 2005)
- Spring 2009
A fee increase to $25 per quarter was voted on and approved.
- Student Technology Fee Operational Guidelines AY 2014-2018 (final 12-18-13)