Student Technology Fee
Western Washington University
The Student Technology Fee
the acquisition of technology
to enrich students' academic experience.
- 2013-14 Project Abstract Form - NEW!
During fall quarter 2012, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee (STF) recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring of 2013.
The task force recommended increasing the fee to $35.00 per quarter with the funding dedicated to the following purposes:
- $14.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.00 for the Microsoft Student Advantage (a licensing/software package)
- $4.00 for the Student Technology Center
- $4.00 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $3.00 for the Student Technology Fee proposal fund
- $2.00 for virtual computer labs and U: drive upgrades
- $2.00 for a print quota with 50 prints
Consistent with this recommendation, the AS Board of Directors presented a referendum to the students in spring 2013, with the following results:
- The referendum passed with a 78% majority.
- The new Student Technology Fee is $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits.
- The fee will be effective for five years, and then will be subject to renewal.
Please see these links covering the Student Technology Fee (STF):
The Student Technology Fee provides students with adequate technology experiences through these objectives:
- Broaden/enhance the quality of the academic experience through the use of technology in support of the curriculum;
- Provide additional student access to technological resources and equipment that are needed in support of instruction and to maintain and enhance the technological competency of students as it relates to their academic endeavors;
- Increase the integration of technology into the curriculum.
(in progress - Sept 2013)
- Fall 1995 -
Student Technology Fee (STF) implemented by the Associated Students (AS), Western Washington University, and the Western Foundation. The AS Board established a fee imposed on all full-time, on-campus students.
- May 15, 2002 -
AS Board resolution: Continue STF with a $5 increase, contingent on continued funding support from WWU administration and Western Foundation
- May 6, 2004 -
AS Board resolution: Extend STF of $15 per quarter for one year (fall quarter 2004 through spring quarter 2005)
- Spring 2009 -
A fee increase to $25 per quarter was voted on and approved.
Student Technology Fee Operational Guidelines 2013-2018
(under development - Sept 2013)